Please suggest which pair of these five effects I should house together

Started by Bonker, June 04, 2016, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonker

I'm thinking about housing a pair of dirt effects to make a stacked effect or as a boost. What would you suggest and in which order would you have them? The choices are:

Ge Fuzz Face
Tone Bender MK II
Lovepedal Eternity
Lovepedal Zendrive
Boss DS-1

I have PNP germanium for both fuzzes and I'm using the AION pcbs so I can make a negative ground and use a common DC source.

I'm anxious to hear your suggestions and reasons :)

I'll mention that my instinct is to house the Tone Bender into the Zendrive or stack both Lovepedal circuits but not sure which into which.

Thanks!

A little more background...

I've done 8 125B kits from three different suppliers so far and think I'm ready to expand my horizons. The Jimi in a box is in my future...
Artist, scientist, athlete, friend

Buildtestrepeat

Whatever you decide look into adding an effect order switch using a 3pdt toggle.  I'm about to try this in one of my pedals.

Mark Hammer

The recommendation depends on what the objective is.  If the intent is to have two different things to choose from, then that suggests other options than if your intent was to run one thing into another.

Transmogrifox

Zendrive + DS1 would make a nice combo.  An overdrive feeding a distortion can give a good sustained lead sound when you really need to kick it up to 11.

Another combination I would like is 2 fuzzes, I would go for the Ge FF + Tone Bender and wire the switching to toggle between the two (more like a parallel path).  Then you have one set to get more of a crunchy overdrive sound and the other to get a full-bodied fuzz sound.  Sort of like a Jekyll/Hyde thing where Hyde wears shag carpet.

Those would be my personal choices.

trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Bonker

Quote from: Buildtestrepeat on June 04, 2016, 08:06:54 PM
Whatever you decide look into adding an effect order switch using a 3pdt toggle.  I'm about to try this in one of my pedals.
That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking I'd just include in/out jacks for both, with the signal auto routed from #1 to #2 if I only use the first and fourth jack. But a switch would be a nice feature.

Bonker

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 04, 2016, 09:22:12 PM
The recommendation depends on what the objective is.  If the intent is to have two different things to choose from, then that suggests other options than if your intent was to run one thing into another.
I think I'd like either pedal to be useful on it's own and then if I have both on, a nice boost for leads.

Bonker

Quote from: Transmogrifox on June 04, 2016, 10:07:38 PM
Zendrive + DS1 would make a nice combo.  An overdrive feeding a distortion can give a good sustained lead sound when you really need to kick it up to 11.

Another combination I would like is 2 fuzzes, I would go for the Ge FF + Tone Bender and wire the switching to toggle between the two (more like a parallel path).  Then you have one set to get more of a crunchy overdrive sound and the other to get a full-bodied fuzz sound.  Sort of like a Jekyll/Hyde thing where Hyde wears shag carpet.

Those would be my personal choices.
The main reason I ask is because I've never played any of these pedals but now have pcbs to build them. I love the DS-1 modded versions I've heard online and that's what I'm planning to build. I think the Zendrive is essentially a TS circuit with mods AFAIK so I'd be comfortable with that pedal anyway...

At any rate, the only reason to house two in one box is for convenience. Maybe I'm fixing something that isn't broken...

slacker

The zendrive and eternity are both TS style circuits, that maybe simplifies your options a bit.

thermionix

I find myself currently wanting a Tone Bender Mk II, but that's just me.  I already have a FF and TS.  I think the DS-1 is a horrible sounding pedal, but maybe mods help, IDK.

If you run a TS type overdrive into a FF, you basically end up with a distortion pedal.  So that would be my recommendation, you basically end up with three dirts for the price of two.