Chaining 1 pedal after another on one PCB via SPDT?

Started by edlamb0306, June 07, 2016, 01:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edlamb0306

Hey!  Hope you're all having a great day.

I had a random idea while bored at work today.  If i drew out a schematic for a simple boost or overdrive pedal, but popped a spdt switch off the center lug of the volume pot (which in this situation would usually lead to the output, right?); then had one position on the switch linking to an entirely new circuit, which would then meet the first position at a common output, would that work?  Say, an electra leading to a switchable SHO.  Obviously both would share a common 9v/ground.  Would this theory work or am I an idiot?

Thanks!

Kevin Mitchell

Lug 3 of the "level" pot to the center lug of an spdt switch and the outer connections to out of effect one and out of effect two. So you're pretty much tapping into which output you want to hear. Out prior to effect 2 or post effect 2.

Draw out the connections to wrap your head around the idea. Consider a dpdt to add a status LED.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Kevin Mitchell

I forgot to note that the setup I've described the level pot would be set up as a master volume apposed to your idea which I assume would have two separate controls.

The point was to confirm your idea. There shouldn't be an issue there. Hope it works out for ya!
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

GibsonGM

If I'm picturing this correctly, couldn't there be potential for the signal to 'tap off' at the output jack and 'flow backwards' into the unused effect?  If the output impedance were low enough, it could almost act like a filter by loading your signal, couldn't it?    So, hit or miss whether or not you'd have some audible result.

Ex:  if you have an output pot, then a cap etc. on the unused effect, why couldn't signal flow from output jack back to those components and potentially to ground?

Kevin's idea seems to 'work better' than having them both tied to the output jack all the time.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PRR

As Mike is hinting: it is usually better to disconnect both ends of a thing being bypasssed. And to have a status light. That's why people paid big money for 3P2T switches (before prices fell the last few years).
  • SUPPORTER