aionelectronics Comet troubles

Started by derryckw, June 07, 2016, 03:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derryckw

Im having some troubles with this comet build and can't seem to find the problem.  When I hit a note I get a static distortion sound, I turn the distortion to 0 and put the clipping in diode lift and I still get it, so I swapped out the IC, no help, then I swapped out the IC socket, no help, the static is not present at R23 or pin 5 of the IC but when you go to pin 6 it's there.  I swapped out R23 for a higher value but that made no difference either.  I am getting the static on R9 and C5 which is making me think I might have a bad POT, any thoughts before I rip this POT out??

Thanks all,

Kipper4

Check R8 for bad connection maybe.
I suspect the IC1 op amp is misbiased. And that's the "static" your hearing.
I have been known t be wrong though.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

PRR

Welcome.

As you know, you can't "see" what the electrons are doing.

You have a signal tracer, a good tool.

You should also have a volt meter. When the audio is mangled, one popular reason is bad DC voltages on amplifier stages, Kipper's "bias". At extremes, it does horrible things to nice sounds.
  • SUPPORTER

derryckw

R8 doesn't seem to be the problem although I reflowed solder again, getting 4.5v on R8 and 9V everywhere I should.  Pin 1 of the opamp I have 2.2v then 9v on the other side of R24.  Signal is now cutting in and out now, just sounds and feels like the IC combined with a bad solder joint, I've reflowed solder at every connection, double checked each component that I didn't throw a 100R into a 100k slot or something stupid like that.  I've chopsticked the circuit pretty hard and nothing stands out, still have a good signal flowing into the IC and crap coming out so it's definitely in that area.  Swapped the socket again just to eliminate and tried a few different ICs, almost time to give up it's taking to much of my time!

Kipper4

post your voltages for ic's please
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

derryckw

JRC4558
1-2.3
2-swings from 4.4 down
3-4.47
4-0
5-4.4
6-4.47
7-4.47
8-8.96