AION Stratus / Tube Screamer Issues

Started by CamH132, June 07, 2016, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CamH132

Hi guys,
I've just finished building the Tube Screamer project using the AION board. I'm not 100% sure that it's working properly though - at the moment it just seems to be working as a clean boost. The gain pot is just kinda attenuating the high frequencies and the tone pot is just increasing / decreasing the overall level by about 12db (the pots are definitely wired correctly - e.g. the tone and gain pots haven't been accidentally switched and even if they were, the effect they are currently having isn't really what I would have expected from each control - at the moment they basically have to be all the way up for the pedal to have any real effect).

The only mod which I've installed is the diode switch which is selecting between 1n4001s and asymmetrical 1n914s however this switch doesn't seem to be having any effect either. I'm wondering if the clipping diode section has somehow been bypassed?

I'm assuming this is probably just a missing link or an incorrect component somewhere but I'm not really sure where to start looking...

Cheers

bluebunny

How's your diode switch feel?  Is it nice and sharp, or does it feel a bit languid?  It's possible to melt the switch when soldering it to those big ol' pads, in which case it might indeed appear to do nothing.  In any case, a trip over to the sticky Debugging thread would be a good idea.  And pictures.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

CamH132

All sorted guys, made the classic error of misreading a resistor and had a 47k instead of 4.7k for R5 in the negative feedback loop. All is good and working properly now!