IC Chips - where to buy?

Started by khm9, June 08, 2016, 11:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khm9

Hi all,
so earlier today I've seen a thread here where a guy had a problem with deep blue delay not working. And it was a faulty PT2399 (counterfeit).
Currently I'm stocking up parts. So I'd not like to buy 100 chips for $10 just to find out that 99% of them are faulty. I'd rather buy 5 fully working chips for $10.

Since apparently there is a huge difference between counterfeit chips and originals where to buy IC chips?

P.S. if someone bought from eBay ICs and had a good experience, please share the sellers link :icon_mrgreen:

thanks.

vigilante397

I've had mostly good luck with Tayda ICs, but Small Bear is the best option if you're looking for quality, never had a bad experience. Plus killer customer service and faster shipping, better selection of hard to find things, the list goes on. http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

smallbearelec

Thank you for the good words. Duds of the PT2399 have been a plague for awhile. When I was in Taiwan last year, I was able to visit the Princeton office. They connected me with a local distributor and I bought enough for several years of sales.

Hemmel

I was about to suggest Texas Instruments' Sample & Buy program, but apparently it doesn't work anymore.
No more free samples from TI :-(
Bââââ.

khm9

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 08, 2016, 01:07:12 PM
I've had mostly good luck with Tayda ICs, but Small Bear is the best option if you're looking for quality, never had a bad experience. Plus killer customer service and faster shipping, better selection of hard to find things, the list goes on. http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/

I would order from smallbear, but the shipping is a big problem for me. Ups (to Bosnia) would be way too expensive, and international shipping isn't insured, and knowing how these int. shipping packages get lost very often I'd rather not risk. For example if I order from tayda and pay few $ for shipping I'll get a tracking number + money back guarantee if the order doesn't arrive in 30 days.

I guess I'll go with tayda and hope for the best  :-\

samhay

>where to buy IC chips?

It depends on the IC.
The more rare/obsolete/expensive the chip (BBDs, OTAs, PT2399s, etc), the more likely you will find a fake on ebay. The big sellers like Mouser, Farnell, etc are pretty safe bets if they stock them. In our little pond of pedal builders, Smallbear's prices can be worth the peace of mind.

For garden variety op-amps, 4000 logic, etc, etc, you are pretty safe buying them from Dodgy Dave in a dark alley.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Kipper4

"For garden variety op-amps, 4000 logic, etc, etc, you are pretty safe buying them from Dodgy Dave in a dark alley."

I think I bought some off of his brother Dodgy Roger in a car park in Peking. :)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Transmogrifox

+1 smallbear. 
You won't get fakes there.

Mouser, Digikey, Newark, etc are reputable suppliers but you probably won't do much better (if any better) than smallbear unless you're ordering in quantities of thousands...then you probably aren't looking for this kind of advice on a hobbyists forum :)
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

ElectricDruid

If you know what you're looking for, Mouser, Digikey, Farnell or RS are all good. These are serious electronic supply places, so the huge lists of stuff can be a bit overwhelming. But if they've got it, it's all good stuff, and the prices are usually good too.

HTH,
Tom

Mark Hammer

Steve/Small bear has a team of people who test stuff.  I know, I've watched them do it.

Personally, I don't think there is much to be gained by selling "fake" chips.  You certainly couldn't pawn them off in large numbers on a commercial client and not suffer repercussions.

That said, I imagine there are distributors that do NOT take the time to confirm that a lot of something they managed to pick up at a favorable price is actually up to spec.  I know Steve gets some of his transistors from dealers who keep an eye out for NOS supplies here and there.  I imagine there are other sellers that do so as well.  SBE tests the parts.  Does everybody?  I don't know.

because there is labour involved, a place that tests everything IS going to charge more.  At the same time, consider the higher price as a sort of insurance policy.  The product obtained from a cheaper source may be every bit as good, but simply inconsistent in quality.  If the consistency is important to you go with that.  If price/cost is more important and inconsistency is tolerable, go with that.