Inverter Distortion

Started by TejfolvonDanone, June 09, 2016, 04:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TejfolvonDanone

Hi everybody!

I ordered some digital inverters to experiment with (CD4009, CD4049, CD4069, 7404, 74HC04, 74AHC04, 74HCT04, 74LS04). I would like to try them in distortion circuits like the Way Huge Red Llama. I've found out that with the TTL types (7404, 74LS04) you can't bias with a simple feedback resistor but with a voltage divider from Vcc. With this setup i could bais around the threshold (1.3V - 2.2V). Based on the internal schematics i could simulate the it.

But my questions are:
Has anyone tried any of these ICs? In what kind of setup? What was the outcome?
...and have a marvelous day.

anotherjim

Once, 74xx TTL was all we had, and there were circuits using them - squaring fuzzes and dividers, but a 741 amp was usually employed first, then a Schmitt trigger (7414?) then some divider, often a D-type (7474?). If I remember those 74xx functions right then my memory isn't too bad! Afraid I can't think of anything that attempted use them in a more linear fashion.

If you can find them, 74Cxx are basically CD4000 made functionally pin for pin as 74xx TTL. A 74C04 is very much like a CD4069UB. A big functional difference is that TTL tended to choose Low active levels or negative clock edges while CD4000 are active high and positive clock edges.

74HC etc are faster 74C, a lower On resistance for the mosfets meaning higher shoot-thru current meaning lower maximum supply voltage to keep power consumption down.

TejfolvonDanone

After a quite big research i've found that people say that these TTL chips (7404 and 74LS04) aren't good sounding at all. I couldn't really tell if they've just put it in instead of the CMOS types or they've done anything else. Looks like i have to try them myself.

QuoteOnce, 74xx TTL was all we had, and there were circuits using them - squaring fuzzes and dividers,
If these experiments won't work out i'll have to create a squering fuzz.

QuoteA 74C04 is very much like a CD4069UB.
I also found that they have the same threshold as the regular 74xx series chips.

QuoteIf I remember those 74xx functions right then my memory isn't too bad!
Your memory searves you well!  :icon_biggrin:

anotherjim

A lot of chip synth circuits can be done with TTL. The Schmitt triggers still make oscillators with one cap & resistor. I can't think of any advantage the original 74xx series has over 74LSxx though. LS is more useful with battery power.

TejfolvonDanone

QuoteI can't think of any advantage the original 74xx series has over 74LSxx though.
As far as i know they have more current drive than the LS series.