Anybody built ESP Project 92?

Started by exztinct01, June 09, 2016, 06:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

As thread title speaks:
Is it a good pedal? How does it compare to some diy sustain/compressor pedal?
Is it worthy to be built if I'm looking for a looooooo..........ngggggg sustain?
~ Stephen

antonis

I think that sustain "leeeeeee..........ngthhhhhh" is restricted by C1's value (alternative circuit).

(if you want to mess with another (or more) op-amp in a parallel configuration for more charging current, do it on your own risk.. :icon_cool:)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

exztinct01

how bout the first circuit? the one powered by 12VDC? Is it better than the alternative version?
~ Stephen

merlinb

A link would be nice:
http://sound.westhost.com/project92.htm

Quote from: exztinct01 on June 09, 2016, 08:02:42 AM
how bout the first circuit? the one powered by 12VDC? Is it better than the alternative version?
It claims to provide limiting (i.e. sustain), but Elliott has been very scant with the details. He also says: "It can be used direct from the guitar, but the effect is not as good, since it is designed for relatively high levels (around 1 Volt). "

exztinct01

anyone? some more opinions?
Is it good enough for someone looking for sustain mainly?
Much better if opinion comes from someone who already built it or knows what the design's strengths and flaws are  ;)
~ Stephen

PRR

I'd say there are better choices.

Timing is all up to the LDR.

It is designed for mixer inserts, not instrument level.

Someone has an Engineer's Thumb which is more elegant and intended for guitar.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Being designed for high/line levels is a very good explanation for why the cumulative gain used to drive the rectifier and LED is so conspicuously low.  As near as I can tell, max gain applied to the signal during rectification is 11x, which is pretty low, compared to what a great many guitar-oriented autowahs use to drive their sidechains.  I suspect one would either need to have an LED and LDR that are exceptionally sensitive, or else kick the value of R10 from 100k up to something like 1M5.