News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

TDA8932 amp

Started by potul, June 10, 2016, 02:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah-Baley

Does somebody have the schematic of the Hotone Heart Attack or similar? I would like to build some mini amp with a modern high gain like that. ;D
Thank you!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

mth5044

Quote from: tca on June 16, 2016, 12:47:37 PM
> just bought one too

I've bought 10.

Honest amp, flat colorless sound, linear response, runs at low temperature and does what it promises...

But I keep returning to much simpler designs;)

Cheers.

What do you like running over these chips?

tca

> What do you like running over these chips?

Nothing. I use them for "regular" audio reproduction, not guitar.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

mth5044

Quote from: tca on July 04, 2016, 05:58:58 PM
> What do you like running over these chips?

Nothing. I use them for "regular" audio reproduction, not guitar.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I thought "I keep returning to much simpler designs" meant something else!

tca

"But I keep returning to much simpler designs" ... for guitar ;)
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

deadastronaut

yay just got my amp in the post...... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

page two, comfy chairs and popcorn, everyone.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

deadastronaut

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

J0K3RX

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on July 03, 2016, 04:26:01 AM
Does somebody have the schematic of the Hotone Heart Attack or similar? I would like to build some mini amp with a modern high gain like that. ;D
Thank you!

Not until I get off my lazy @ss and trace it :icon_wink: The TDA2003 power amp circuit is the standard one you can find the schematic for all over the internet or the test circuit and board layout in the datasheet...   The preamp part is where it gets difficult! There are 5 dual opamps, 4 of the JRC4580's and one TLC2262. I am guessing that the TLC2262 is being used for the FX loop but that's just a guess at this point. There is a 78L09 voltage regulator and 5 transistors and diodes. The rest is NANO Grande'  :icon_eek: tiny @ss EIA-96 resistors and I am having to use a jewlers glass to read them... The codes on them are tuff but luckily this free app has a great SMD decoder that I use quite often.. http://www.schematica.com/resistor_color_codes/resistor.html

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

deadastronaut

^...  8)

get yourself a usb microscope...they are brilliant....
i bought one ages ago, very handy...

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: J0K3RX on July 06, 2016, 04:33:33 AM
Quote from: Elijah-Baley on July 03, 2016, 04:26:01 AM
Thank you!

Not until I get off my lazy @ss and trace it :icon_wink: The TDA2003 power amp circuit is the standard one you can find the schematic for all over the internet or the test circuit and board layout in the datasheet...   The preamp part is where it gets difficult! There are 5 dual opamps, 4 of the JRC4580's and one TLC2262. I am guessing that the TLC2262 is being used for the FX loop but that's just a guess at this point. There is a 78L09 voltage regulator and 5 transistors and diodes. The rest is NANO Grande'  :icon_eek: tiny @ss EIA-96 resistors and I am having to use a jewlers glass to read them... The codes on them are tuff but luckily this free app has a great SMD decoder that I use quite often.. http://www.schematica.com/resistor_color_codes/resistor.html

Thank you, J0K3RX.
This sounds a bit bad for me. :(
The good news is about the power amp, TDA2003. It should easy enough, and probably will be the starting point. (I'd like to find a veroboard layout).

The Hotone Heart Attack sounds very good and real. Maybe there is an alternative preamp we could use. I was thinking about Dr. boogie, Mark, Diezel, Bogner... or some high gain emulator. I never built none of them because them could be tricky, noisy, and the eq/tone section often isn't much deserving. (I would build in the future a Wampler Triple Wreck).

At this point the things could be a little more difficult then a Noisy Cricket, but I'd like to see what we can do.
Thanks! ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

Ice-9

I've just ordered a couple of these TDA8932 Class D amps, I'm looking forward to maybe a few different preamps along the lines of Marshall, 5150, Bognor, AC30 etc. I suppose similar to the Hotone Nano's but more power.  :icon_cool:
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Elijah-Baley

Fine! ;)
What kind of preamp you are looking for? Emulator jfets or real tube?

Ice-9

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on July 07, 2016, 04:07:54 AM
Fine! ;)
What kind of preamp you are looking for? Emulator jfets or real tube?

I'm not sure which way to go yet, I will wait to see how well the module performs as a basic power amp first. I would expect that I might go with a Jfet/opamp combination though, just to keep things in a small enclosure.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Ice-9

I forgot all about getting a couple of these little amp boards until this morning, I got the PCB's out and soldered a jack on both the input and output and used a 19v laptop PSU to power the amp. I dug out an AMT S2 pedal and hooked that up to the input and my little 2x12 EVH 5150 cab to the output of the chip amp.

First impressions are that it is quite a good sound with plenty volume, I will wait until Sunday morning to give it a good test as the neighbours will be at church then, I am going to rig up my 5150 iii amp then use the preamp send straight to the chip amp and try and compare the difference between 5150 power amp and chip amp both through the 5150 preamp section. Should be an interesting back to back test.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Ice-9 on September 10, 2016, 01:04:01 PM
I forgot all about getting a couple of these little amp boards until this morning, I got the PCB's out and soldered a jack on both the input and output and used a 19v laptop PSU to power the amp. I dug out an AMT S2 pedal and hooked that up to the input and my little 2x12 EVH 5150 cab to the output of the chip amp.

First impressions are that it is quite a good sound with plenty volume, I will wait until Sunday morning to give it a good test as the neighbours will be at church then, I am going to rig up my 5150 iii amp then use the preamp send straight to the chip amp and try and compare the difference between 5150 power amp and chip amp both through the 5150 preamp section. Should be an interesting back to back test.

SOUND CLIPS.

VIDEO

EVEEERYTHIIIIING

:) :) :) :)
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

printer2

I thought this might be an interesting idea in a pedal (large) format with an amp module. Have one sitting on top of my keyboard for months waiting for the winter building season to start. Would use a switching ps to get the high voltage.

Fred

PRR

> an interesting idea

0.1u cap in the last tube stage is drawn wrong.
  • SUPPORTER

printer2

Quote from: PRR on September 11, 2016, 01:01:08 AM
> an interesting idea

0.1u cap in the last tube stage is drawn wrong.

Oops.
Fred

PRR

I later noted that there are two 0.1 in there. You got the right one?
  • SUPPORTER