Is RG174 shielded cable ok fer my pedal build?

Started by plexi12000, June 12, 2016, 12:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

i have a couple ft. of the 174 wire i used some time ago for a master volume amplifier.  i believe it's 26g wire if i'm not mistaken.

overall diameter is kinda thick and bulky for a 1590BB w/ six pots.  -would like to build a "dr. boogey".

is this cable what the "pedal" guys use? or is theere a better choice?  thank you!

DDD

RG174 is good for sound applications, I use it often enough.
At the same there is no need to use shielded cable inside metal stompboxes because the un-shielded one do this work very well.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

R.G.

1. Yes. RG174 is OK. I use it all the time when I need shielded.
2. What measurements do you put on "better choice"?
3. Shielded wire may be needed inside high gain pedals if there are high impedance connections to switches and controls, even if the outer enclosure is metal.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

GibsonGM

Shielded wire is great inside high gain pedals, as it can help to channel noise to ground and keep it out of your circuit.   Typically, one end of the shield only is grounded - this creates a "wire in a tube" effect, which is awesome.   

Could be overkill, as stated, but certainly not "bad" or anything!   It generally is used at the input and output jacks, to connect different boards or stretches across a board, or in sensitive places (near oscillators etc).   Would be hard to implement for 'normal' circuit board jumpering and stiff, as Dmitriy is talking about.    It has its place, and so does non-shielded...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

plexi12000

Quote from: R.G. on June 12, 2016, 02:05:49 PM
1. Yes. RG174 is OK. I use it all the time when I need shielded.
2. What measurements do you put on "better choice"?
3. Shielded wire may be needed inside high gain pedals if there are high impedance connections to switches and controls, even if the outer enclosure is metal.

Thanks RG!   well, i guess what i meant by "better" was maybe something something that was not as thick as the 174, that's all.  lol

plexi12000

blackieNYC

I use cut up pieces of cheap stereo cables. You know - the free stuff.
(but it won't be available forever...)
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

GibsonGM

Oh ya - the wire from RCA cables is great for offboard connections. And you can find either shielded or non shielded.   If it IS shielded and you don't want to use the bare copper, you can just cut it back, put a piece of shrink wrap over the end of the wire or something.   Nice stranded wire. 
We don't need very thick wire at all at 9V. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...