multiple effect box - power distribution question

Started by blackieNYC, June 12, 2016, 04:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

I'm putting 7 pedals in one large enclosure, my second, and with so many circuits inside I want to give myself sufficient power protection. That's easy - Geofex has all I need.
But, when I distribute power in the box, should I be taking steps to isolate the circuits?  Should each circuit get a 100R and a large cap?  Or maybe a large cap and several smaller ones physically located by each circuit?
I've built such a thing before, and it turned out to not be very noisy.  But I want to do the best I can. New things I'm doing in this one are: not giving each pedal its own in and out jack (don't really use that much on the first one), using shielded cable to daisy chain from each TB stompswitch to the next (grounded at one end), and grounding the circuit input when the effect is off.  (with the exception of a ring modulator where I will use the stomp ground contact to stop the LFO when the effect is bypassed.
When grounding each circuit in the bypass position, do you think i still need to take extra measures to prevent the +9v bus from passing noise?
If it's worth noting, one or two circuits will employ a TLC1044 for positive ground -9V.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

GibsonGM

I would do the 100R > cap to ground right where power enters each board.  That level of decoupling has been enough for me, never needed to do more; your experience could be different, I suppose.   I haven't  "multi-effects" any power hogs, though.

I don't see the need for doing much more than this, but there could always be SOME set of conditions that could arise to void that!

What are you putting in there, if I might ask?  Knowing that could tip someone off to more that you oughtta do...

Edit:  I'm sure I don't need to remind you to set up a good ground scheme, too!  Star grounding, some kind of bus, maybe....you'll have a lot of wire out there with that many circuits.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

blackieNYC

100R and a big cap. Nothing fancy. Worked for me this far, with my daisy chain cable. It's pretty much all fuzz and OD. One oscillator in there. That will get shut off as I said earlier.
Yes, there will be buses. LEDs get their own gnd and 9v tied back to the chassis star point. Each circuit will have its own tie to another power and gnd bus. Most of these individual boards have been in my prototype tins and already have the resistor and cap at the circuit end of the wire. At the power connector I'll have a schottky and another cap.  Will report back.
  • SUPPORTER
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

dbp512

I use a one-spot daisy chain for all my effects, which is about as isolated as your concept (since I include filtering caps on each circuit). I haven't noticed any noise problems with any drive/boost/modulation pedal so far.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Hammer

Different sorts of effects pose different kinds of risk for line noise.  What had you wanted to stick in this multi unit?

blackieNYC

The current plan is corruptor (CMOS ring mod and fuzz. This is the LFO I will turn off with the bypass stomp switch). Buzz around, dam meathead (ff), jfet mild OD, great destroyer (Devi, or someone, ordered the wrong 4049s and figured out something to do with them. Kill the input when off!). And a sziklai rangemaster or maybe the gator. Maybe a pt2399. Again, there be one 1044 voltage inverter for -9v.
So, some unconventional audio applictions of CMOS. Which could be trouble but I have a 49'er and an uglyface in the other box. No noticeable noise. Inputs weren't even grounded.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

I would say the 100 ohm + cap is a good idea but one thing should be taken further: every LFO should have separate decoupling.  It may be a good idea to select a type of oscillator that has no current spikes (a phase shift oscillator is preferable to a 555 oscillator) or to arrange the circuit so the oscillator can have the ground isolated as well as the + supply.

You don't mention the type of supply you intend to use but a wall wart may not be the best choice.  It may be better to house the power supply inside the enclosure.  Some wall warts have the transformer, rectifier and a capacitor inside, but I took one apart where there was a resistor in series with the capacitor, presumably to limit the inrush surge.  Ripple was bad.  If the situation is bad, you may want a DC voltage that is high enough to put through a regulator which can give you a low output impedance and little coupling through the power supply.