aion refractor just built, but works only for 1min

Started by DragonSF, June 14, 2016, 06:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSF

I was thinking the same and did the reflow already. Nothing has changed, so I put the project away for a while and concentarte on the lab series preamp, which has also aa nastey, but different problem (clipping and Mid2 op-amp).
BTW: at least two ohter builders had the same problem and there was no solution (yet).

DragonSF

After I cpould happily fix all Lab Series pre-amp issues, I'm back to the refractor. I have rebuilt everything around IC2 on a breadboard (new components with same values) and the behavior is 100% the same. BTW: keeping the PS voltage at 6V, the issue doesn't show up.
Conclusion so far: no wrong component (all checked with multimeter) and no soldering issues. What can it be? I'm a little bit reluctant to built the IC1 part, but if I must, I must.

spoontex

I have a problem with another Aion project, the aurora compressor. I've rebuild with new components and they don't work.

I hope that you can fix it.

DragonSF

I'm getting closer: the circuit aroun d IC2is just fine. When I put a capacitor (3u3 Tantal) between R16 and Pin2 of IC2, the problem disappears. That means, some DC voltage spoils the game. So back to IC1 and components.

slacker

If adding a cap there fixed then the problem is somewhere round the other end of R16, maybe C10 or C11 are bad or one of them is shorted out, that's about the only way you can get DC on that end of C16 unless you have a partial short somewhere round there to a point with some DC on it.

DragonSF

Quote from: slacker on June 25, 2016, 09:51:00 AM
If adding a cap there fixed then the problem is somewhere round the other end of R16, maybe C10 or C11 are bad or one of them is shorted out, that's about the only way you can get DC on that end of C16 unless you have a partial short somewhere round there to a point with some DC on it.
Thanks for the hint (assuming you meant R16 and not C16). I'll look at that.

slacker

DragonSF

Something is wrong around R19: If I remove R19, the behavior is as desired. When R19 is in, but R7/C17 removed, the issue again is there.
This I can't understand, as without R7/C17, one end of R19 should be opened and R19 has no effect at all.

DragonSF

I eventually got it - fixed: there was a tiny (nearly invisible) shortcut between the joint of R7/R19 and R6/Pin1 GainA. After meticulusly desoldering of the holes in question and reinserting of R7, C16 and R19, I got rid of the issue. Thanks all for the help.
Now the sound: that's what I'm talking about. In combination with the Lab series pre-amp (in the effect loop), a KPA and Yamaha DXR12: fantastic.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

aion

Quote from: DragonSF on June 26, 2016, 03:19:05 AM
I eventually got it - fixed: there was a tiny (nearly invisible) shortcut between the joint of R7/R19 and R6/Pin1 GainA. After meticulusly desoldering of the holes in question and reinserting of R7, C16 and R19, I got rid of the issue. Thanks all for the help.
Now the sound: that's what I'm talking about. In combination with the Lab series pre-amp (in the effect loop), a KPA and Yamaha DXR12: fantastic.

Was it a solder bridge or a manufacturing error in the PCB?

DragonSF