Common resistor and transistor values to stop up on/ N channel J fets

Started by Belanger, June 15, 2016, 08:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belanger

Hey guys I just started out and I've managed to stock all my capacitors   I'm working on ICs although the I have a few hounded of about 20 mixed kinds    I'm really working on resistors and transistors.  I'd like to buy some good quality metal film like the dale? I believe that's what there called lol. I just don't want to buy values I'll never really use.

As far as transistors I'm looking for mostly silcon and I tend to do a lot of amp in a box style builds and high gain overdrives mostly  I've got some bc109/8. 2n3904 mpsa18 pn2222a?(forget what this one is I'll look it up).   I have some mosfets 2n7000 and bc170.   I also have some j201s on order for n channel jfets.  I'm sure there's a tone of things I'm missing though. So please anything you find you could not build with out write down for me

Thanks so much and I look forward to seeing what
Other people find to be necessary
The best substitute for intelligence is silence

whoisalhedges

For resistors, you'll never have enough of multiples of 1, 2.2, and 4.7k. I can't count the times I've run out of 10k, 47k, 220k, 1M, 2.2M...

Next, get multiples of 1.8, 3.3, 6.8... I don't find myself reaching for others all that often, occasionally multiples of 1.5 and 5.6. Remember you can add resistance in series: if you don't have that 150k you need, you can connect a 100k and a 47k and you're fine.

You'll need some under 1k, in a good range of values; but unless you go into mass-production of something that uses a 680 ohm resistor, you needn't go crazy most likely. Maybe get a bunch of 10 ohms just in case you meet a connection that mathematically-speaking shouldn't have resistance on it, but it acts funny just open - there are many people who can explain what I just said without sounding dumb, I'm not one of them right now. But I can say I've used a lot of 10s as jumpers in non-sensitive circuits.

For N-channel JFETs, you started on the right foot with J201s. Also grab some MPF102s and 2N5457s. I have a particular soft spot for 2N5484s, and I don't know why - don't see them on many schematics.

PRR

> 2N5089

+1. Yes. When in doubt, use a 2N5089.

(Unless it needs the other polarity.)

If a 2N5089 won't work, you got an error or a fussy-fussy circuit which will have you hunting for the same odd-gain parts the original designer found on close-out sale. Life is too short.
  • SUPPORTER

Belanger

I was hoping you would jump in with some advice.  I really admire you builds and I play a lot of metal so the stuff I'm Intrested in always seems to have tons of useful
Tips from you!  Thanks for the tip, Basically all the circuits I want to build use N channel jfets 😑 I have none for now and who knows how long because there coming from China lol     

Quote from: J0K3RX on June 15, 2016, 11:49:14 PM
2SK208-R - JFET N-Ch / 0.3mA to 0.75 mA

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Toshiba/2SK208-RTE85LF/?qs=iCzJi%2FIZBF52K9IBnicZ%2FA%3D%3D

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/toshiba-semiconductor-and-storage/2SK208-R(TE85L,F)/2SK208-R(TE85LF)CT-ND/4503201

Belanger

However there's a guy from turkey who has a link on the 2sk30a toshiba

Quote from: Belanger on June 16, 2016, 01:17:36 AM
I was hoping you would jump in with some advice.  I really admire you builds and I play a lot of metal so the stuff I'm Intrested in always seems to have tons of useful
Tips from you!  Thanks for the tip, Basically all the circuits I want to build use N channel jfets 😑 I have none for now and who knows how long because there coming from China lol     

Quote from: J0K3RX on June 15, 2016, 11:49:14 PM
2SK208-R - JFET N-Ch / 0.3mA to 0.75 mA

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Toshiba/2SK208-RTE85LF/?qs=iCzJi%2FIZBF52K9IBnicZ%2FA%3D%3D

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/toshiba-semiconductor-and-storage/2SK208-R(TE85L,F)/2SK208-R(TE85LF)CT-ND/4503201

merlinb

Quote from: Belanger on June 16, 2016, 01:17:36 AM
Basically all the circuits I want to build use N channel jfets 😑 I have none for now and who knows how long because there coming from China lol     
For stompbox (i.e. low voltage) circuits you want FETs with very small Vgs(off) rating. You can't really go wrong with J201 (-0.3 to -1.5V). I doubt you'll ever need any other kind.

For PNP / NPN I always use BC337 / BC338. Nothing else is worth bothering with (even better than 2N5089), but being a European designator its probably a type you're not familar with. But BJTs are all the same anyhow (although I wouldn't waste my time with 2N3904s. Sure I'll use 'em up, but no pont buying more, they're pointlessly puny).

slacker

Quote from: whoisalhedges on June 15, 2016, 10:47:18 PM
For resistors, you'll never have enough of multiples of 1, 2.2, and 4.7k. I can't count the times I've run out of 10k, 47k, 220k, 1M, 2.2M...

This is good advice, in addition using the 1, 2.2 and 4.7 values between 100R and 2M2 you can make most other resistor values you'll ever need for stompboxes by combining them in either series or parallel pairs. Here's a chart I did based on that idea resistorchart.pdf