deluxe memory man trails

Started by Dimitree, June 16, 2016, 06:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

hi everyone
I'd like to add a trails feature to the deluxe memory man, so that when I switch it off, the repeats continues to fade out.
I will loose true bypass of course.

any idea how to do it without make it pop?

I found this is schematic online:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mhammer/media/DMM.png.html

Scruffie

There is a problem with doing trails on the deluxe memory man, because it goes to full wet, if you have blend knob set to anything over 50% and you cancel the wet signal, you'll get a volume drop and at 100% you'll only get silence when bypassed.

Just thought I should point it out before you continue your search.

Dimitree

thank you,
but I'm fine with that.. most of the time I have the blend at <50%, and even in other cases, I wouldn't care.

so I guess it is just a matter of muting the path after the feedback loop..but how?

Dimitree

I guess I need to stop the dry signal before or after R4 so that it won't get to the BBDs (and hence thru the repeat path).
If I'm not wrong, U1B is a non-inverting amp, dry and wet signals get mixed at its input by R4 and R5.
If I shut to ground before R4, then the dry signal gets completely muted, so it's not ok.
If I shut to ground after R4, then U1B input would be 0V so no more trails, so it's not ok.

Then I think the only way is to add a resistor, let's call it R4B, with a really large value. When I bypass the pedal, R4 get removed from the circuit, and R4B takes its place.

what do you think?

TejfolvonDanone

QuoteIf I'm not wrong, U1B is a non-inverting amp, dry and wet signals get mixed at its input by R4 and R5.
That's true but it's the feed INTO the delay line not to the output. So it's rather a mix between dry and feedback (as the feedback pot suggests).
QuoteIf I shut to ground before R4, then the dry signal gets completely muted, so it's not ok.
That is the thing you have to do. If you disconnect R4 and C4 from the output of U1A then the dry signal can't enter the delay line.
U1A's output will have the dry signal amplified. U4B's output will have the wet signal. So if you disconnect R4 and C4 the dry signal will still be at the output of U1A and will go to the blend control.
So connect the blend control's wiper to R29 and reuse S1 switch. Put the switch between the output of U1A/C voltage and R4 C4. So the leg of the switch originally going 4 goes to U1A output, 5 goes to C and 6 goes to R4/C4.
Test the pop without playing anything: If no sound goes in the input the switching should be silent. If you have a pop add a 100 Ohm (let's call R4B) resistor between the switch and R4 C4 and a 68nF from teh junction of R4/C4 and R4B to ground. That should do the trick.
QuoteI will loose true bypass of course.
I don't see if U1A is ever disconnected from the signal pass. S1 just bypasses the blend to esentially 100% dry. If this is true disconnecting the supply while playing in bypassed will mute the whole circuit.
...and have a marvelous day.

Vitrolin

the easy thing to do is make an external boks with a loop and a blend knob.
use your memory man at 100% and mix to yur liking in the boks, to stop the delay with trails keep output from memoryman on but ground the input, maybe through a resistor. the clean signal must ofcourse be buffered.
using this method you will loose having the memorymans preamp sound always on this can be good or bad depending on your taste

Dimitree

Quote from: TejfolvonDanone on June 17, 2016, 05:43:04 AM
QuoteIf I'm not wrong, U1B is a non-inverting amp, dry and wet signals get mixed at its input by R4 and R5.
That's true but it's the feed INTO the delay line not to the output. So it's rather a mix between dry and feedback (as the feedback pot suggests).
QuoteIf I shut to ground before R4, then the dry signal gets completely muted, so it's not ok.
That is the thing you have to do. If you disconnect R4 and C4 from the output of U1A then the dry signal can't enter the delay line.
U1A's output will have the dry signal amplified. U4B's output will have the wet signal. So if you disconnect R4 and C4 the dry signal will still be at the output of U1A and will go to the blend control.
So connect the blend control's wiper to R29 and reuse S1 switch. Put the switch between the output of U1A/C voltage and R4 C4. So the leg of the switch originally going 4 goes to U1A output, 5 goes to C and 6 goes to R4/C4.
Test the pop without playing anything: If no sound goes in the input the switching should be silent. If you have a pop add a 100 Ohm (let's call R4B) resistor between the switch and R4 C4 and a 68nF from teh junction of R4/C4 and R4B to ground. That should do the trick.
QuoteI will loose true bypass of course.
I don't see if U1A is ever disconnected from the signal pass. S1 just bypasses the blend to esentially 100% dry. If this is true disconnecting the supply while playing in bypassed will mute the whole circuit.

thank you, I think I understood..

if arranged like you said, does it make a difference if I use the R.G. electronic bypass instead of a mechanical switch?