a gated tone without using fuzz pedals?

Started by Imslicc, June 28, 2016, 02:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imslicc

I'm looking for a way to produce a gated tone to increase attack.

I'm very much interested in the Jimmy page / Jack white gated tone, but I don't like the compressed character of fuzz pedals, which do contain this bias thing.

Do you have any suggestions for an overdrive circuit that has this gated punchy attack character? without compression and mid or any frequency boost.

Or maybe a way to build a gate pedal that can be tweaked to an extreme setting, which would produce this sound?

Thanks. Hope it's not too off topic.

thermionix

Can you provide an example, like a Youtube link, of the type of tone you're looking for?  I don't tend to associate Jimmy Page with Jack White, sound wise, so I'm not really sure what you might mean.

Seems any dirt box, be it fuzz, overdrive, or whatever, will compress the sound.  You hit the strings harder, and it gets dirtier rather than louder.

GibsonGM

You can move the bias point for any overdrive or distortion and get gating.  Whether it will sound good or not might take experimenting.

Maybe try this with a 1 transistor overdrive into an already dirty amp, see what happens...?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Imslicc

I'm talking about this
https://youtu.be/vhtjD2HXjvE

But just "isolate" this gated sound. . Without the compression of the fuzz pedal, which is unwanted.

I thought maybe use a gate pedal. But could not find one that suits my needs

thermionix

R.G.

I think he's talking about, as mentioned, a perver... er, improved...  :icon_biggrin:  noise gate.

Not hard. Sense the envelope. Mute if level is less than X, pass the signal if it's X + 0.00000001.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Imslicc

Quote from: R.G. on June 28, 2016, 07:38:36 PM
I think he's talking about, as mentioned, a perver... er, improved...  :icon_biggrin:  noise gate.

Not hard. Sense the envelope. Mute if level is less than X, pass the signal if it's X + 0.00000001.

Exactly. Or anything else that can increase attack and punch. Btw what's perver?

Vitrolin

Quote from: Imslicc on June 29, 2016, 04:15:40 PM
Quote from: R.G. on June 28, 2016, 07:38:36 PM

Exactly. Or anything else that can increase attack and punch. Btw what's perver?
:icon_lol:

a noise gate is supposed to keep the silence quiet by smoothly open when when input signal is above threshold and smoothly close when below

robthequiet

Maybe a TS clone modded with led diodes for more headroom, but a lot probably depends on the level settings of the guitar->pedal->amp. Are you expecting to drive the amp into distortion all the time or just reserve the distortion for occasional "kicks" ?

ashcat_lt

How bout just an opamp boost into back-to-back series diodes?  Ge or Shottky is probably best.  More gain will equal less gating, so maybe a simple volume control after to knock it back down.

Imslicc

Well. . Good people of the Internet
I was scanning the Internet for the answer. . And I think the case is closed. What I was looking for was what the ehx germanium od does. That's it!

I wonder if the bias and volt thing sound good on other materials other than germanium. (?)

What do you think?