Shout out to Steve at Small Bear Electronics!

Started by Groovenut, June 29, 2016, 01:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groovenut

Props to your amazing hook up wire! One of the most time consuming parts of building a pedal is the wiring. Steve's pre-tinned hook up wire makes life pretty easy. No twisting, no fraying, no tinning. The pre-tinned solder melts fast and the insulation doesn't shrink or melt under normal solder heat. Plus a great selection of colors. I had three pedals to do this morning and they went buy quick and painless, so I needed to say thanks!

Greatly appreciated Steve!

disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Small Bear Electronics in any way, other than being a happy customer  :D
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Mark Hammer

Oh I love the pre-bonded stuff.

BTW, that is one VERY tidy build.  Yours looks like mom and dad are coming home any minute.  MIne look like mom and dad are going to be gone on a 3-month cruise.

thermionix

Nothing but good things to say about Small Bear, I'm sure many will agree.  I want some of that wire, too.

whoisalhedges

Oh man, I hate cutting, stripping, twisting, and tinning hook-up wire... expense be damned, I might have to grab some of this.

thermionix

No it's the pre-bond.  Stranded, but tinned.

Groovenut

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

smallbearelec

Thank you for the props! Similar material is now available in #20 with 600 volt insulation for tube amp builds and repairs.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/20-pre-bond-wire-for-tube-amps-600-volt-per-ft/

Regards
SD

rutabaga bob

Man, I go along with Mark - that's VERY nice!  I'll have to give a look-see about that wire...thanks for the tip!
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

bloxstompboxes

I can vouch for Steve's wire as well. I still have several rolls and use it on every build. Mine aren't as pretty as the one above, but it does make the build easier.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

stringsthings

Frank_NH

I love the #24 prebond and use it so much that I have now purchased all the available colors!  (I color code all my wiring, red for power, green for input, black for ground, etc.).

Steve, that #20 wire looks sweet.  Timely too, as I'm now getting into vintage amp restoration... :icon_eek:

YouAre

Quote from: smallbearelec on June 29, 2016, 03:13:30 PM
Thank you for the props! Similar material is now available in #20 with 600 volt insulation for tube amp builds and repairs.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/20-pre-bond-wire-for-tube-amps-600-volt-per-ft/

Regards
SD

Love it!

Any Plan on offering this wire on spools?

Fndr8875

im kicking myself for trying out a differnt sites wire, screwed up pcb because seemed like it took forever to get the wire to tin, and i ended up with a mess of frayed half through the eyelet half not, and ended up burning up pot holes trying to desolder them. Idk my iron seems ok stays pretty shinny, but idk if its me or the iron, but i do know i had bought a 50 ft sampler and a 15 ft sampler and had some scraps left over and they tinned much easier. Im frustrated because my soldering has gotten pretty good like ill populate a pcb ad it looks perfect, but when it comes to soldering pots i just seem to always have problems. can solder my 3dpt switches fine, i think i need to measure lenght of wire better cuse i know when im moveing things around a bunchand the wire starts getting worked back and forth thats asking for trouble weaking the joint. Anyway yea im smallbear only from now on.  was really excited about my rat build but its F-d. oh well least i used socket and salvaged parts just dont know if theyll have long enough leads for a diffenent rat pcb