Aion Cerulean KOT Problem - Solved

Started by brucer, June 30, 2016, 01:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

Apologies if I'm missing anything, but I'm no great shakes with electronics and a first-time poster.  Happy to learn/follow instructions though!  Please help me find what I'm missing so I can fix this build!

It's a Marshall Bluesbreaker OD built to King of Tone (KOT) specs provided in the BOM (https://aionelectronics.com/project/cerulean-bluesbreaker-overdrive/).  It includes the clipping diode selection switch and hard clipping mod switch recommended for the KOT.  To the best of my ability, all parts and connections are per the BOM – KOT specs.

In general terms, I can get bypass signal in my testing rig, but no effect signal (zero output via effect circuit).  I've tried probing the circuit and I don't get signal past R4 ... in a circuit-tracing-linear-fashion anyway (i.e I do get signal at some other points further along in the circuit – e.g. R5, R7, but not at the volume pot). 

I've gone so far as to remove R4, verify its value and put a new verified R4 in place, but soldered one end directly to the lower pin of C5 in case the lack of signal through R4 was due to a PCB error.  No joy. 

I've double-checked my wiring, part values, parts orientations and soldering (still, apologies in advance if you find/point out errors).

DC measurements are as follows:

IC1:
- Pin 1: 4.62
- Pin 2: 4.64
- Pin 3: 4.55
- Pin 4: 0
- Pin 5: 2.37
- Pin 6: 4.74
- Pin 7: 4.74
- Pin 8: 9.28

Q1: N/A (omitted)

D1:
A =4.09
K =4.63

D2:
A =3.55
K =4.09

D3:
A =3.03
K =3.55

D4:
A =4.63
K =3.02

D5:
A =4.64
K =4.64

D6 (jumper):
A =4.62
K =4.62

D7:
A =4.64
K =4.64

D8 (jumper): 
A =4.62
K =4.62

DX1:
A =4.26
K =4.60

DX2: 
A =4.60
K =4.25

Positive lead at jack: 9.32
9V in at board: 9.32
Ground in at board: 0

Photos follow:

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm also happy to do more probing/measuring if that would help, but would need some direction. 

Thanks!

Kipper4

If you ommitted Q1. Where is the volume pot soldered to?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

brucer

Quote from: Kipper4 on June 30, 2016, 03:42:44 PM
If you ommitted Q1. Where is the volume pot soldered to?

Errrr, yeeaaahhh.  That.   :-[

Totally right Kipper4.  I missed a jumper (F1/F2), thinking that it only applied to the Morning Glory version (I misread/misinterpreted the BOM).

Thanks SO much for looking and commenting.  Totally appreciated.

My pedal works!!!!