So I finished my BYOC VB-2 build, but...

Started by gbkd80, July 09, 2016, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbkd80

...it don't work right  >:(

(I always have this expectation that it will work perfect the moment I fire it up.  This goes for any build, since my very first etch and build worked perfect right off the bat.... Jinxed..)

Anyway, I bought the board direct from BYOC and bought the weird parts and stuff from Small Bear, eBay, etc.  I get very little effect.  I can speed it all the way up and I hear something by barely.  The ramp switch doesn't work at all, nor does the SPDT toggle switch.

Should I ask BYOC for assistance? 

R.G.

Quote from: gbkd80 on July 09, 2016, 02:53:23 AM
Should I ask BYOC for assistance?
Since they sold you the product, I would think they should be eager to help you make it work.  Yes, by all means, contact BYOC for help.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

...but I would follow the troubleshooting tips from the debugging page, and have the relevant technical information available to provide.  Otherwise, the "search space" provided by "It doesn't work" is likely to be so large as to provoke disinterest on their part.

So:
- do you appear to have the correct voltages provided at all the right spots?  That is, is everything that is supposed to read +9V reading +9V?
- are you certain that signal is entering the circuit? I.E., do you read at least 20-30mv AC at the output of IC1 (pin 7)
- is the LFO working?  you should be able to see a fluctuating voltage on the wiper of the Depth pot, with the depth turned up, at different Rate settings.

That's a good start.

gbkd80

Thanks Mark-
I actually started a thread at their forum and have been getting some helpful advice on how to troubleshoot it, but I still haven't gotten it going yet.  Basically, since I failed to go into better detail previously, what was happening is I can hear the effect just barely, like I know it's there but isn't coming through.  The toggle switch to activate the ramp on doesn't work or change that effect.  Bypass is working, etc.  I checked the voltages per recommendation at q9-14 and also at the chips, which I have a reference for.  I otherwise don't know how to tell what voltages are supposed to be where honestly... They don't have a page of voltages from a working pedal like GGG would do, for example.  And if I'm supposed to be able to get that from the schematics, well.. Lol count me failed!

But I noticed that the once subtle effect suddenly stopped working altogether, and I realized that the 6110 was SMOKING hot, like burn your finger hot.  I'm convinced I blew the chip.  So I ordered another few to have on hand in case.  Got the new ones, threw one in and it got instantly hot again, so it's not the chip.  I tested it quickly with guitar before it had a chance to heat up to excruciating levels and the effect was pretty much working, with the exception of the toggle and ramp footswitch.  Then the effect started to die again and I fear I blew that chip also... So, no more wasting ba6110's until I get some more help- I just posted my voltages at their forum.  My chips all look good with the exception of the 6110 throwing that 8.5v on pin 4 when it was supposed to be like .1v or something really low. 

Again, they only supplied the PCB and I sourced / used my own part stock to build it up and save some money by not buying the whole kit (I had everything but the special chips).  So I'm sure they're not too eager to help out, but the forum has been good so far.  We will see... Once I find out how off my transistor voltages are that will probably tell..

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

gbkd80

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 14, 2016, 11:38:05 PM
Check this thread, reply #1:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112432.msg1037507#msg1037507

The working voltages from BYOC are posted.

Yeah, I saw those and also confirmed with the forum member that originally posted it over at BYOC.  I'm going to double-check mine again, but last time I looked mine were pretty much on point with the posted ones... would love to see a transistor voltage reference but I don't think one exists.

PRR

> 6110 throwing that 8.5v on pin 4

Unlikely the chip is throwing 8+V there.

Quite likely something is shoving 8V at it.

I'm not sure what is the Authoritative schematic. But pin 4 seems to sip from a 33K resistor (possibly through some mirror transistors). If somehow a 33 Ohm resistor snuck in place of 33K, it would try to drink 1,000X the proper current. Which might indeed be fatal to it. If you picked the wrong pinout on those transistors, it sure would be bad.

Work your way out from pin 4 and see what connections and values are really there.
  • SUPPORTER