Who uses plastic enclosures?

Started by strungout, July 10, 2016, 08:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

And what pros/cons have you found?

I just bought two 1591CTBU's for my bass rat and bass tube screamer builds and my MXR EQ clone build wont work inside a metal box for some reason :1
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

vigilante397

I keep a couple of the plastic enclosures from Tayda on hand for prototyping, but once I have something sounding the way I want it then it goes into a Hammond box.

And you are aware they come in different sizes, right? :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

GibsonGM

If you use a plastic box, you CAN shield it with aluminum foil (hint hint).   Like Vig says, good for prototyping, but probably can't take life on the road. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

Quote from: strungout on July 10, 2016, 08:36:20 PM
wont work inside a metal box for some reason

You really ought to investigate this.  There's no reason why your circuits shouldn't work in a metal box.  It's going to be something straightforward.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

armdnrdy

Quote from: strungout on July 10, 2016, 08:36:20 PM
I just bought two 1591CTBU's for my bass rat and bass tube screamer builds and my MXR EQ clone build wont work inside a metal box for some reason :1

Are you using an all metal DC jack?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

bluebunny

Quote from: me
It's going to be something straightforward.

Quote from: armdnrdy
Are you using an all metal DC jack?

Like this.   ;D

We need the OP to tell us what "won't work" really means.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

It's not the plasticness, but rather the structural rigidity and whather it can take the brunt of one's stomp.

MXR used plastic boxes for several years.  Danelectro uses them, and so does Behringer.  The Dan-o boxes are pretty rugged.  The Behringer boxes are also a lot more rugged than people give them credit for.  Unfortunately, the foot treadle feels the complete opposite of a Volvo or BMW car door, but that's more a case of lousy design than of the materials used.

strungout

I bought plastic because the shop I buy from was out of suitable metal hammond boxes and I thought I would change them when I could get some. Well see how they hold up. Theyre not meant to be taken on the road.

As for my EQ box problem, Im using this type of DC jack: http://www.protostack.com/connectors/other/panel-mount-dc-jack-2.1-x-5.5mm Yes, its metal. I *think* I did try it without the DC jack installed but I'm gonna try it now just to make sure.

EDIT: If I had a nickel for every time I felt dumb... So I basically have to either use some plastic washers or change the DC jack. Thanks for the help! Now I can use my nice red painted BB!

EDIT: Well, it *worked* now that Ive tightened everything it doesn't... sigh. All I get is a loud SHHHHH sound, tho I can hear my guitar behind it. It the pots. If I push on them the SHHH goes away but the sound from my guitar is very low...

EDIT: Ok, everything is fine now. I don't know why it worked, then stopped working... but I filed away the paint from the pot holes and it works. Here'S a picture of my *grandiose* work:

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

bluebunny

Good news!  Yeah, toss those metal DC jacks.  They look pretty, but they also do a fine job of shorting your power supply to GND.
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

Quote from: strungout on July 11, 2016, 09:55:13 AM
EDIT: If I had a nickel for every time I felt dumb...

Don't feel bad....do you know how I came to the conclusion of the shorting DC jack?

I used a metal DC jack on my very first build with the same results!  :icon_redface:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)