Jed's Peds Soda Master beginner advice

Started by sidneyfuzz, July 15, 2016, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidneyfuzz

Hello! I've recently bought a Soda Master Kit from Jed's Peds. While assembling the pedal I've come across a couple of issues that I was wondering if someone on here would be able to help me with. Firstly, a bit of confusion about the PCB itself.

I've followed the document that I downloaded from the website to help me build the pedal. However, I've found myself a bit stumped. Firstly, I have what seems to be a spare resistor (yellow, purple, red, gold). The photo here shows it like this because I replaced it with a different one - as I had misread the instructions and thought it was a 1k brown, black, red, gold resistor.
http://imgur.com/kDlj98D

I'm not sure what to do with it as it does not come up on the instructions. However, there is an empty space for a resistor on my PCB. On the instruction sheet there is also a resistor listed as R15.
imgur.com/ook7vR9
However the value of this resistor appears to be CLR LED - which im guessing actually refers to the clear LED light - shown here: imgur.com/Wl8iEoT

Is an LED light a resistor or is this a typo? Would this mean that I discard the yellow, purple, red, gold resistor?

Here's a picture of the instructions with the list of components on the bottom left

http://imgur.com/qc59SzY

And here's a picture of the PCB so far
http://imgur.com/9xKw7GM you can clearly see the empty [R15] space below the other resistors
Anyone familiar with building this pedal and can tell me what my next step should be? Thanks for any help in advance (I am really stumped)

bloxstompboxes

CLR stands for Current Limiting Resistor. It is the resistor that is used for your LED and limits the current so that you, first... don't burn up the LED, and second... sets a brightness for the LED that is useful but not blinding.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

sidneyfuzz

Ah thanks so much. Guess that was my mistake for assuming what CLR stood for (thought it was shorthand)!

duck_arse

hey sidney! if you take those addressess imgur gives you, and paste them between the "img" tags that mona gives you, , your images (once they've been sensibly resized .....) will display nicely within this very page. then, we won't have to run the gauntlet of opening tabs and fighting scripts and stuff.
don't make me draw another line.

sidneyfuzz

Quote from: duck_arse on July 16, 2016, 11:43:48 AM
hey sidney! if you take those addressess imgur gives you, and paste them between the "img" tags that mona gives you, , your images (once they've been sensibly resized .....) will display nicely within this very page. then, we won't have to run the gauntlet of opening tabs and fighting scripts and stuff.

I've tried this but the images didn't seem to work when i previewed them

GibsonGM

Make sure you copy/paste the one that says "direct link" when you're looking at your image on Imgur....right side of the pic viewing page in your "library"...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

sidneyfuzz

I was wondering: is it ok for my PCB to touch the metal casing of the pedal? Was worried about the possibility of any electronic interference (especially with the solder joints on the bottom side of the board)

PRR

> is it ok for my PCB to touch the metal casing

Usually NO. Each wire/lead on the PCB does a different thing. Shorting them all together spoils that. It can lead to smoke and flames. In small (pedal) work, more likely hot dead battery or no-sound. Best-case, works sometimes not others.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

^ smoke and flames, I was going to say that. also, image links need to have the image-file extension appended, like .png or .jpg (NOT .html though). lacking the extension will cause the page to barf the addresses.
don't make me draw another line.

sidneyfuzz

Any idea of what i can do to shield it from touching the casing?

Kipper4

I use hotmelt glue to stick a sized piece of card to the solder side of the pcb, then hotmelt the card to the back of the pots sometimes.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

bluebunny

Quote from: sidneyfuzz on July 17, 2016, 01:07:35 PM
Any idea of what i can do to shield it from touching the casing?

Absolutely anything that's non-conductive: tape (electrician's, gaffer, ...), paper, cardboard, empty Coke bottle, the clear plastic from your sandwich wrapper, ...  The world's your oyster!  Um, ... oysters too (the shell, not the flesh).   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...