Octave pedal split output from strings - modding a boss oc3/building a splitter

Started by Lameller, July 24, 2016, 05:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lameller

Hi all

I have a boss oc3 and the poly mode does exactly what i want. But not quite... I use poly mode to split the guitar signal so I can play faux bass on the low E and A string. With the range knob I can dial in a place on the guitar neck (usually the 7th fret on the A string) where the signal stops being effected by the octave effect. This works perfect - Except for the octave sound - i really dont like that.

So what i am thinking is either:

Having the oc3 modded so the octave effect can be turned off but the split "effect" still works. This way i can just place an octave pedal like a pog after the "bass out" on the pedal and join the guitar and bass signal further down the line on my pedal board with an ABY pedal.

Or:
Having a new pedal built that can split the guitar into two signals. Signal 1, A clean signal (with or without the notes from signal 2). Signal 2, which only contains the low notes on the E an A string (preferebly adjustable like on the oc3). Signal 2 could be in an effects loop so the pedal would have 1 input, a send, a return and 1 output. This could maybe be achieved via an adjustable low pass filter for the bass signal before it hits the octave pedal (pog). But I have not been able to find this in pedal form.

The easiest i assume would be having the oc3 modded - but I have no idea how to do it...

Having a new pedal built would be costly I assume. Unless someone knows of a diy way to do it? Keep in mind that while I can solder, I have no idea how electronics work....

Any ideas how to go about either of the two possibilities?

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best

Mikkel

Gizmo1977

I don't own an OC3 but your second option is exactly what I was looking for and why I've joined this forum. Have you found a solution?

deepMago!

I use the boss OC-3 in my band to recreate bass sounds in a "power duo" (drums and guitar only).
Anyway I've my rig this way: guitar on the input of the OC-3, send the Bass signal to a old pevey bass combo set flat and the direct out to my Fx (overdrive tremolo and reverb) in my tube guitar amp.
I never use the bass sound alone, everytime the bass sound is ON you always hear also the direct guitar sound.  This because the Oc-3 it's very glitchy and have also a important latency. But I can tell you I like the sound of guitar overdriven mixed with the bass sound. When I bought the pedal I try to use only one amp but for me doesn't worked well.
Now I would change and use my Iphone with guitartomidi (jamorigin) that convert guitar sound in polyphonic midi feed in Sample thank to have not only bass sound but also piano, trumpet and everysound I want. I could tell that when I tried had worked very well.

Bye