Ray Wilson RIP

Started by StephenGiles, July 24, 2016, 01:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Just read over at electro-music.com -

"The word is that Ray lost his battle with stage 4 cancer this past Thursday.

He will be greatly missed."

Very sad news indeed, condolences to his family.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

This is indeed sad news.

Ray Wilson was the man behind MFOS.  :(
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

anotherjim

Terrible news. He was a giant. I do hope his creations live on - without anyone ripping-off his estate.
RIP

Mark Hammer

It's the news I was afraid I might hear, but knew deep down that I would.  Ray was one of the good guys.  His family was so deeply involved in his treatment, and so hopeful.  I feel bad for them.  If the mark of a good life is how many people are grateful to you, then Ray had a good life.  We'll miss him.  Not just the circuits and his help, but his hokey stand-up "show" as well.

Somewhere, he, Bob Moog, John Simonton, and Jurgen Haible are hoisting one and gabbing about circuits and oscillator stability.

Thanks, Ray, for everything.

PRR

> [ Invalid YouTube link ]

That seems to be an "m" link, which confuses something since I am on a non-Mobile device (a 30 pound desktop). Some experimentation suggests---

http://www.youtube.com/user/theraywilsonshow

as a near-universal link to Ray's YouTube channel. 

(It will change into an https link, but the non-s protocol may be more universal.)
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

He was truly innovative and a really nice person. RIP
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

armdnrdy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 24, 2016, 05:28:38 PM
Somewhere, he, Bob Moog, John Simonton, and Jurgen Haible are hoisting one and gabbing about circuits and oscillator stability.

I'm currently working on Jurgen's adapted Arp Quadra Phaser build.
Testament to how these DIY gurus work lives on. 
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

bluebunny

He lives on in so much lovingly-crafted kit and the beautiful music made with it.

RIP Ray.  Now in Outer Space.   :'(   
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

such a shame....what a great guy...

rest in space...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on July 25, 2016, 07:00:06 AM
rest in space...

That's sweet, Rob.  Quote of the day.  I'm sure Ray would have smiled.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

wavley

I'll really miss Ray, a really nice guy, super helpful, with a very informative website that has incredible projects.  I'm sad that I didn't buy more boards from him, hopefully someone close to him will at least maintain the website because of the wealth of information it contains.

We truly lost a giant.  Someone told me like last week that he was feeling better and I was ecstatic, then yesterday the other tech in my shop gave me the bad news.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Mark Hammer

If PAiA could continue after John Simonton passed, then surely MFOS can continue.  From all outward appearances, Ray's wife Debra was involved with the business.  I would imagine that, once all of the expected repercussions and grieving are over, she and their kids might continue the site.  The store may be closed for now, but that doesn't mean they have no inventory or couldn't simply order more boards to be fabricated.

garcho

sad news indeed. MFOS got me started in this whole wires and parts and knobs game, he will be sorely missed...  :icon_cry:
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"