Connector for Dual Supply

Started by exztinct01, July 29, 2016, 12:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

I want to build some preamps which use dual supply, in stompboxes. Which types of power supply connectors should I use for this?
I know I can use two common dc jacks/plugs but what is commonly used for this purpose?
~ Stephen

anotherjim

I've never noticed any standard type for the job. Some manufacturers use 5pin DIN or 3 pin XLR, but that is dangerous in my opinion.
3 pin DIN is an option, since they aren't often found used for audio.

For:
Easy to find
Basic types are Cheap
Fit in round hole
More expensive screw lock types available, such as...
https://www.rapidonline.com/binder-09-0107-80-03-male-3-pin-din-panel-mount-screw-with-solder-terminal-55-0476

Against:
Male pins can mate with wrong sockets
Chassis mount male pin is rare - I only see them in the expensive screw-lock versions. You don't really want male pins on the supply cable, although it isn't dangerous voltage, it could be accidentally shorted.

FiveseveN

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

davent

I usually use Molex type connector for dual supply connections. Use a panel mount male and a cable mount female connector. Can buy connectors with from one to many,many terminals, and a couple different sizes.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

amptramp

I used a 4-pin connector like a DIN but with a square array of pins so I could bring out Vcc+, Vcc-, 0 volts and chassis ground in case I needed a separate ground.  If you are running from identical wall warts, just use the normal 2-pin coax connectors but with the pin grounded for the +ve supply and the ring grounded for the -ve supply.  You can then interchange the wall warts because they are identical.

Fender3D

I used old style CB mic plugs and sockets

I often swapped them for the silly plugs in Soundcraft Spirit series mixers
now I prefer AC wall warts, then perform rectifying and voltages regulation inside the enclosure, in case I need more than dual supplies
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Quote from: Fender3D on July 29, 2016, 04:38:55 PM
now I prefer AC wall warts, then perform rectifying and voltages regulation inside the enclosure, in case I need more than dual supplies

I've been doing the same thing.
I happened across a small stock of 15-0-15 AC center tapped wall adapters. 500ma & 1.5A
Since there is plenty of power left in reserve...for the larger effects I install two DIN-3 power connectors in parallel.
I can make a short male to male cable to supply the raw AC power to another pedal requiring a bipolar voltage.
As you stated...the power filters, rectifiers, and voltage regulators are included on each effect PCB.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

exztinct01

i'll be using it for Rod Elliott's P05.
Thanks for the help guys. I'll consider using an AC wall wart too if it's more convenient
~ Stephen

Fender3D

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 29, 2016, 09:10:47 PM
...I happened across a small stock of 15-0-15 AC center tapped wall adapters. 500ma & 1.5A...

I meant I use single voltage 9/12 VAC wall warts.

followed by 2 Voltage doublers

followed by regulators

exztinct01

is the voltage doubler type of rectification reliable enough?
i mean, what are the disadvantages of it?
~ Stephen

Fender3D

Quote from: exztinct01 on July 30, 2016, 09:12:55 AM
is the voltage doubler type of rectification reliable enough?

Tons of digital rack effects use it...
Capacitors' size raises with load though.

exztinct01

oh I see
Anyway, one disadvantage I realized just now, if I put rectification and regulation in the pedal enclosure, it would be costly 😊
~ Stephen

PRR

> is the voltage doubler type of rectification reliable enough?

FWIW, I used to make beer-money by running 580 Watts of tube power amps in high-reliability civic concerts (and a few raves). These amps used doublers.

They particularly make sense when you need *two* similar supplies. Mine were +300V/+600V. In this thread we seem to want +/-15V (or so). Only difference +/++ and +/- is which place you connect "zero" (common, ground).
  • SUPPORTER

Electric-Gecko

Quote from: exztinct01 on July 29, 2016, 12:44:23 AM
I want to build some preamps which use dual supply, in stompboxes. Which types of power supply connectors should I use for this?
I know I can use two common dc jacks/plugs but what is commonly used for this purpose?

:D Thank you, Thank you, Thank You for posting this.  ;D
I have looked all over the place for this information, and I was going to start a topic on one of these forums until I saw this as one of the most recent topics here.
Again, thank you.

anotherjim

I often swapped them for the silly plugs in Soundcraft Spirit series mixers

Those CB connectors are exactly what I've imagined were needed but never got around to getting. And those Spirit mixers with the little header plugs for the external power supply - what were they thinking!

tubegeek

+1 to this. Excellent solution until current gets WAY above what we're talking about. Locks and everything. I even found them available super-cheaply, on AliBaba maybe or some similar Asian Bargain Palace.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

armdnrdy

Quote from: bluebunny on August 01, 2016, 02:55:40 AM
Do these have names?

I would say the one on the left is named Bill...and the one on the right is Susan.  :icon_lol:

Look CB mic connectors or plugs.

bluebunny

Sweet.   :D

It's fair to say that CB came and went over here within a few short minutes around forty years ago.  So I'll go with Bill and Sue on my next foray into Maplins...   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...