LM2902 substitute

Started by disorder, July 30, 2016, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disorder

I'm fixing up an old Roland phaser that uses two LM2902 and the one used for LFO seems to have failed with all outputs near the rails. It's a real old pedal and oddly enough it seems like the LM2902 architecture is still in use today as an SMD part. It's grouped in with LM324, the main differences I can see are max supply voltage and operating temp. Before I put a socket and an LM324 in this pedal is there a more suited replacement? I worry today's LM2902 is related to the old LM2902 only in name. 

GGBB

The PDIP-14 LM2902N is readily available from Mouser and other places.
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

LM324 is a perfectly good replacement. What I've seen of those Boss pedals is they do not have reverse polarity power protection. Someone touching a battery on the snap the wrong way around can fry one or more of the chips.

StephenGiles

I think that the EH Riddle uses a quad opamp in the LM29xx series.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

PRR

> all outputs near the rails

You don't say you checked Vref or the input pin voltages. Depending on bias, a Vref failure sure could throw all outputs high.

> LM2902 ..grouped in with LM324, the main differences I can see are max supply voltage and operating temp

Yes, classic LM2902 can still be found.

LM2902 and LM324 are the "same" chip. First digit is traditionally:

1- Military (very wide temp, very tight spec)
2- Industrial (wide temp, tight spec)
3- Commercial (shirtsleeve temp, reasonable spec)

The LM324 is not sexy and was not sold into Military markets. So I've only seen the 3__ grade (and a listing for a LM124, but maybe not really available).

A particular application is Automotive. This needs nearly full Industrial Temp range, but without tight specs, and no need for full 40V breakdown, 12V-15V ought to be fine. A '2902 is a '324 die in industrial plastic and a slightly reduced voltage rating to cover extreme temps without costly processing.

I think at one time the '2902 was cheaper than '324, leftovers from some automotive many-millions production. That may be why 9V pedals used '2902. (Not because they expected to play in sub-sub-Zero temperatures, like your car engine might face.)
  • SUPPORTER