power filtering pause

Started by LightSoundGeometry, July 31, 2016, 06:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

hello, just wanted to get some thoughts and information on some power filtering. I am doing a 5672 booster based off rick holts schematic but doing the layout etc myself. So in doing so I tried to add some filtering  which is now causing a slight delay and I am guessing its the electro charging.

I have it right on the rails like normal but I am guessing since there are two sources of power in the pedal its causing the hiccup? I was using a 47uF for the filter. When the filter is removed the pause goes away.

I have a voodoo lab and some trutones so its not a big deal but it has me thinking this morning !

thanks in advance for any input and hope everyone has a great week!!

GibsonGM

Well, if you put it on the rails, it is always "in", correct?  You're not switching power on and off....if that's the case, I'd expect no interference to the circuit, the cap should always be charged...can't see what you mean by "2 sources of power"....(?)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 31, 2016, 07:54:14 PM
Well, if you put it on the rails, it is always "in", correct?  You're not switching power on and off....if that's the case, I'd expect no interference to the circuit, the cap should always be charged...can't see what you mean by "2 sources of power"....(?)

well thats why I am confused. I bet its a faulty electro ..I was trying to think of anything it could be or a fault someplace else..it has a 12Vs and then the 1.25 on the heater coming from the regulator so I was mistaken by two sources when I was thinking of the regulator.

GibsonGM

I wonder if there could be something with the ESR causing this?  Can you swap it for a new one?  I mean, once power is on, and it has charged.....there should be no 'delay'.

"Causing a slight delay"...does this mean when switching?   Much more likely to be an input cap charging up, if that is the case, IMHO.   Listen to the solo in "Axis Bold As Love" by Hendrix to hear this, after his triplet run when he stomps on his FF  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 01, 2016, 07:53:42 AM
I wonder if there could be something with the ESR causing this?  Can you swap it for a new one?  I mean, once power is on, and it has charged.....there should be no 'delay'.

"Causing a slight delay"...does this mean when switching?   Much more likely to be an input cap charging up, if that is the case, IMHO.   Listen to the solo in "Axis Bold As Love" by Hendrix to hear this, after his triplet run when he stomps on his FF  ;)

youre right, its something about these, and others, that just do this like a FF whose input goes right into a electro. I have built three of these so far and they all do it but to a different degree this being the worst. its one of those always on type of pedals anyway, more like a buffer type so it can pretty much be left on and drive the amp with another pedal.

I dont really like them too much to be honest, I think an lpb1 or a fet ( I like the fets more than transistors)  sounds just as good into a tube amp!

PRR

Remove (bypass) the filtering. Is it still there?

"like normal" isn't a good description. "Normal" may be different things to different people.
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on August 01, 2016, 11:36:56 AM
Quote from: GibsonGM on August 01, 2016, 07:53:42 AM

youre right, its something about these, and others, that just do this like a FF whose input goes right into a electro. I have built three of these so far and they all do it but to a different degree this being the worst. its one of those always on type of pedals anyway, more like a buffer type so it can pretty much be left on and drive the amp with another pedal.

I dont really like them too much to be honest, I think an lpb1 or a fet ( I like the fets more than transistors)  sounds just as good into a tube amp!

Yeah, but having an electro in series, as an input cap...way different than power supply filtering!  So, like Paul was saying...does it do it if it's not there?

I can't tell what you mean by "delay"....on Switching??? If so, then it's likely not the power filter cap...
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

im scrapping the build;  having all sorts of problems getting anything to turn out right now. i hope its a slump and I get turned around! might be the iron tip or bad strip board ..something weird is going on!

school starts in 3 weeks, intro to microprocessors and digital electronics II , I somehow got a B in Digi 1 when I was essentially lost the last 4 weeks !

GibsonGM

Good luck! Everyone gets in a slump now and then...maybe the problem is just a few different things ganging up on you, that happens to me sometimes :)
  • SUPPORTER