Envelope Follower Voltage Amplifying

Started by rthryhorysak, August 05, 2016, 09:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rthryhorysak

I am using the envelope follower from the DOD 440 and I like the response of it, but I need to get a peak voltage of about 9V. I am using it in conjunction with the Tim Escobedo 9V MS20. The opamp I am using is a TL072 and I changed the diodes to BAT41s and I am getting a round 6.4V as my peak. I tried using the other side op amp to amplify the voltage but I am just getting a constant 8.32V. I reading the amplifying an lfo is not often that simple so does the same apply to the envelope follower.

Kipper4

Try an lm358 or lm324 op amp.
I'm not sure what it is your using it for so it's difficult to advise too.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

rthryhorysak

I am using it replacing the +9V of the Frequency pot for this resonant low pass filter.

Markw5

The schematic in red color can't work as shown because there is no DC path to ground at pin3 of IC1_A. Otherwise, the opamp output will saturate and stay stuck.

jonfoote

lower the value of the two 100k resistors just after the freq pot. (not too low or you'll fry the ic)
lm13600 are current controlled, so less volts in needs less resistance for the same current.

i think you can actually replace them both, and just have one, maybe use a pot with a resistor in parallel and set the range you like

rthryhorysak

Quote from: jonfoote on August 05, 2016, 12:28:47 PM
lower the value of the two 100k resistors just after the freq pot. (not too low or you'll fry the ic)
lm13600 are current controlled, so less volts in needs less resistance for the same current.

i think you can actually replace them both, and just have one, maybe use a pot with a resistor in parallel and set the range you like

Yeah I currently have 10k for both. My issue is that I have the envelope follower on a switch with 9v so I can use it as a standard filter or envelope filter. When I use the envelope follower it cuts a significant amount of highs compared to the 9V input

anotherjim

Use an LM358 - it won't go higher, but it will go to 0V giving a fuller swing.
Fit a bleed resistor across your C4 so the envelope voltage falls as fast as the signal - it be around 47k to 100k - and follow that with a voltage follower (AKA unity gain buffer) using the other amp in the LM358. This will give an envelope that isn't altered by the controlled circuits input load.
Don't replace the 100k resistors for the manual pot. Instead try using another 2x 100k from the envelope to each OTA control.
That should set it up so that the manual pot will also act as a range control for the envelope when that's switched in.
10k OTA control resistors may be too small so that the circuit is saturated early giving the impression of reduced range.