MXR Dist+ Clone Not Distorting

Started by exztinct01, March 08, 2016, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

I have built an MXR Distortion Plus Clone a while ago and got it working. I have breadboarded it first before putting it in a case. Now, I noticed that turning up the volume and gain pots increases its volume but the distortion doesn't seem to reach that crunch that I have heard when it was still on a breadboard. It doesn't even sustain now. Another thing I noticed, when it was on breadboard and I don't play the guitar, there's a very audible buzz. Now, there's no noise, but I miss that distortion I had before.
~ Stephen

exztinct01

I followed the tonepad schematic and layout and used 100k gain pot, is it ok that I'm just getting 1.5 volts in Pin2 and 0.5 volts in Pin3 instead of 4.5v and 3.6v respectively? I did not change any value in the MXR Distortion Circuit except the 100k gain pot
~ Stephen

exztinct01

~ Stephen

DavidRavenMoon

Are your diodes faulty? It's the diodes that clip the signal.
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

exztinct01

this is fixed. Turned out signal is low enough to hit clipping.
I've fixed my soldering too. Those in the picture looks so bad ;D
~ Stephen

TaraByers

Hi..i am a new user here. I have some queries for you. Can you please tell me how you built it? What components you used it and what are their specifications. And how did you fix your defect here? What was the problem exactly?