Anyone done something like this?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, August 11, 2016, 06:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

http://geekbeat.tv/homemade-headphone-amplifier-is-a-work-of-art/

Sure it's impractical, and makes repair impossible. Then there is of course the components expanding from heat and whatnot but still.

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Cozybuilder

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on August 11, 2016, 06:44:33 AM
http://geekbeat.tv/homemade-headphone-amplifier-is-a-work-of-art/

Sure it's impractical, and makes repair impossible. Then there is of course the components expanding from heat and whatnot but still.

Thats one way to keep the components in place! And no bubbles?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

GibsonGM

A couple of times I've used a binary expoxy on things like bathroom sinks/vanity tops....it is the same stuff they pour on a bar's top, with the baseball cards under it and stuff.   I wonder if that would work here??

Might be neat for a desktop thing you use once in a while, but more for show...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Cozybuilder

Hah- new theme bars catering to guitarists on the way! Might need different color LEDs or light bars to make it more interesting as the night wears on.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Mark Hammer

Boy, you better be certain of your component values, and cap choices before committing. 
"Wait, you mean 103 is the same as .01uf?" :icon_eek: 
"That stripe looked orange when I was sifting through the parts drawer last night.  But now it looks kind of orange.  Maybe I should have measured it to be certain." :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

stallik

I remember being wowed by this when it was made. Must be a couple of years back. Full build log at:
http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/audio-crystal-cmoy-freeform-headphone.html
Now let's see someone make a Stompbox the same way!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

287m

Quote from: stallik on August 11, 2016, 10:30:04 AM
I remember being wowed by this when it was made. Must be a couple of years back. Full build log at:
http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/audio-crystal-cmoy-freeform-headphone.html
Now let's see someone make a Stompbox the same way!

and better if combined with orgonite!  :icon_evil:

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 11, 2016, 09:33:09 AM
Boy, you better be certain of your component values, and cap choices before committing. 
"That stripe looked orange when I was sifting through the parts drawer last night.  But now it looks kind of orange.  Maybe I should have measured it to be certain." :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

This is why I use baseball card holders in a binder for my resistors and plastic "tackle" for caps. Makes finding stuff quickly a dream.

electrip

Quote from: 287m on August 11, 2016, 10:38:43 AM
LOL.
Had to google it but made my day.  :icon_mrgreen:

electrip

thermionix

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 11, 2016, 07:44:08 AM
....it is the same stuff they pour on a bar's top, with the baseball cards under it and stuff.

Envirotex?

GibsonGM

Not sure...the stuff we use is http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1023-Amazing-Clear-Cast.aspx
I'm actually going to use it tomorrow...putting a basin into an old dresser for my farmhouse bathroom, will coat the top with the stuff to make it extra waterproof.    Works VERY well for that.   You get bubbles out using a propane torch!

I don't know if it could make a block like that...does Envirotex?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

287m

Quote from: electrip on August 11, 2016, 12:27:51 PM
LOL.

electrip
HAHAHA  :icon_mrgreen:
my ex girlfriend are jeweller and orgonite builder plus a bassist!  :icon_eek:

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 11, 2016, 07:40:19 PM
Not sure...the stuff we use is http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1023-Amazing-Clear-Cast.aspx
I'm actually going to use it tomorrow...putting a basin into an old dresser for my farmhouse bathroom, will coat the top with the stuff to make it extra waterproof.    Works VERY well for that.   You get bubbles out using a propane torch!

i remember that, use alumilite to recast part of my diecast
but never became clear like crystal
resin better do it. i remember someone in this forum build strat with resin

deadastronaut

i had to make a key for my old ensoniq sq1+ with clear resin

(my cat knocked a ukele off a shelf onto it...the b...... :icon_evil:)

this was in the days before you could get replacement keys..

i used an identical key pushed into plasticine as the mould, it turned

out pretty good and it still works...i still have some left over....one day i'll find a use for it...

a 'transparent buffer'' maybe :icon_idea:..........ok,i'll get my coat.  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

thermionix

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 11, 2016, 07:40:19 PM

Never tried, but I don't see why it couldn't.  Maybe bubbles would be an issue if you tried a solid block, I don't know.  It's just a clear 2-part epoxy finish.  I used it once about 25 years ago, actually I think it was called Envirotex Lite.  When cured it was just like the thick finish you see on bar tops and restaurant tables sometimes.

Remember those clocks people made in the 70's out of a slice of tree trunk?  Maybe you had one when you were single, then you got married and your wife made you move it out to the garage?  Then maybe the AA battery in the mechanism died and you never bothered to replace it?

GibsonGM

Ha ha...actually, I looked back at a project I did a few yrs. ago, and it WAS envirotex.  I laid it on to about 3/8" thick, and it was fine.  There is a new post on this in the forum today, the kid is using "doming expoxy", which sounds a lot like what the OP was showing....kind of cool.

I'd like to form a whole pedal this way, stomp switch and all, LOL!    I do remember those tree slice clocks!  Kind of "mid century", LOL!  Probably would go for $150 each now....
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: electrip on August 11, 2016, 12:27:51 PM
LOL.

electrip

hmm. best I don't confuse the orgonite with the carbonite, then.
don't make me draw another line.

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on August 11, 2016, 10:45:15 AM

This is why I use baseball card holders in a binder for my resistors and plastic "tackle" for caps. Makes finding stuff quickly a dream.

not a bad idea , and i am from stl area . go blues

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on August 12, 2016, 01:58:05 PM
Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on August 11, 2016, 10:45:15 AM

not a bad idea , and i am from stl area . go blues

O0o What general area? I'm in the St. Charles County area.

bcalla

Not sure if it was ever posted here, but this amazing build was over at Madbean a while back.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain