my son of clay jones is having an identity crisis, can someone help me fix it

Started by Belanger, August 11, 2016, 01:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belanger

ok so basically I suck at building and I've managed to mess up a build this simple, so here is the voltages and any advice (relating to the pedal :icon_lol:) I would really appreciate

LED 1 is constantly glowing. the voltages are as follows.
ic1
1-8.6(way too high isn't it?)
2-6.51
3-7.55
4- -.4
5-8.04
6-7.56
7-8.10
8-8.87

the second board I made seems ok to me voltage wise but still not working. I've checked to see where the voltage stops because I don't have an audio probe
ic
1-4.82
2-4.8
3-4.8
4-0
5-4.8
6-4.8
7-4.8
8-9.7

the 220r and 10k resistors are the only part of the circuit where there was no voltage reading
any help is appreciated and thank you

3,4 with the red leds is the first board with voltages given first and I do not own the rights to this schematic obviously and if the original owner wants it taken down then ill remove it( i doubt anyone will care with it being used in this sense)

The best substitute for intelligence is silence

slacker

I might be being blind but where is the 220n cap that is supposed to be connected to pin 2 and how do the LEDs connect to pin 2?

Belanger

all caps are on both boards   8 on each and I checked the values and everything matches the layout from what I can tell ( that doesn't say a whole lot)

the ceramic cap is 180 nf   sorry should have mentioned that was the only sub I didn't have any other 220nf caps I used the last one on the other build

Belanger

slacker

Ah, that makes sense looking at the layout, I can't see the link from the LEDs to pin 2 on your photo with the green LEDs though, is it there?

Belanger

yes its there on both   out of the two the one with the green LEDs has the better-looking voltage readings.  thanks a lot for lending a hand as well I appreciate you taking the time to do this

Quote from: slacker on August 11, 2016, 03:59:34 PM
Ah, that makes sense looking at the layout, I can't see the link from the LEDs to pin 2 on your photo with the green LEDs though, is it there?

slashandburn

On pin 3 of the opamp on one board (under the socket)I can see solder where I'd expect there to be a space, but other than that I can't see anything visibly wrong anywhere else.

As an aside,  the green LEDs look like they've been set out symetrically, though it may just be the photo. Both "flat" sides appear to be facing the opamp.  In any case, that wouldn't cause those strange voltages.   Sit tight, someone will be able to look at the voltages and at least give you some clues.  Sorry I'm not that someone.

Sprinkle on some more of that magic green dust I see on your desk. It usually works for me!  Or does it?  I can't remember.   ;D

TejfolvonDanone

LED1 is glowing means that it has a DC current. The current from the output and through the LED can't flow into any of the inputs of the op-amp and can only flow if the 220nF cap in the feedback loop is shorted or faulty.

Also it looks like the cut between pin 3 and pin 6 isn't good.
...and have a marvelous day.

thermionix

Quote from: slashandburn on August 11, 2016, 05:34:03 PM
Sprinkle on some more of that magic green dust I see on your desk. It usually works for me!  Or does it?  I can't remember.   ;D

Yeah dude...a little opsec/persec may be called for.

Belanger

Quote from: TejfolvonDanone on August 11, 2016, 05:39:42 PM
LED1 is glowing means that it has a DC current. The current from the output and through the LED can't flow into any of the inputs of the op-amp and can only flow if the 220nF cap in the feedback loop is shorted or faulty.

Also, it looks like the cut between pin 3 and pin 6 isn't good.

I'm assuming were talking about the one with the red LEDs where the voltages are way off. what about the board where the voltages look good(green LEDs)
if I can get one working for now ill be happy and its much closer to being finished I would assume. also,  I checked the cut you were speaking about and it's fine.
ill check the 220nf cap that's linked to the LED on the board where the one LED is glowing.

Belanger

also, I'm sure this is expected but the brightness of the LED which is glowing is directly connected to how much gain there is.. I'm sure this comes as no surprise but in case it somehow has any relevance I figured id throw it out there.

new voltage info after checking all of these things
1-6
2-4.45
3-4.45
4-0
5-6
6-6
7-6
8-8.87

Belanger

Quote from: thermionix on August 11, 2016, 06:26:26 PM
Quote from: slashandburn on August 11, 2016, 05:34:03 PM

Yeah, dude...a little opsec/person may be called for.
i live in Canada lol I don't have much to worry about and thanks again for all of the ideas. ill just keep checking things over and over and if need be ill take a break and work on something else and come back to it later. being a beginner often times I need to do that, then I end up reading something which helps me understand my mistakes and how to better troubleshoot which is a skill of its own.knowing, not every pedal will work the first time it's important to me I learn to understand these things

Belanger

ok so i forgot a cut on the one board with the glowing LED. the one below the 51pf cap :icon_redface:
so the one board is working now but not the one where the voltages seemed ok

pappasmurfsharem

I don't recommend the oregano in the background while building =)

That might be your first issue depending on how many builds you have under your belt  :icon_mrgreen:
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

thermionix

Quote from: Belanger on August 11, 2016, 08:10:33 PM
i live in Canada lol

Oh, I see.  Well lucky you...until wintertime rolls around!  :icon_mrgreen:  LOL

Funny you quoted me and the word "persec" got auto-corrected to "person" somehow.

LightSoundGeometry

share the green weed with us !

maybe no devils lettuce for me..i was just trying to solder with a strip of bared tinned wire lol

slashandburn

I'd love my own little opsec person. Even a tall one would do.

I know you said you don't have one, bit when my voltages are good and I can't see anything wrong with my offboard wiring, I tend to reach for my audio probe.  You can listen around the audio signal path and see if and where it stops.

Good luck with it man. So it's the one with the green and the good voltages that still isn't working?