Belt clip on a hammond box

Started by slashandburn, August 12, 2016, 04:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slashandburn

A friend suggested that all my little micro amps were missing was a belt clip. I disagree that they're otherwise perfect but it struck me as a good idea.  Has anyone done something similar?

The old Dan Armstrong pedal design where it plugs straight into the guitar Jack struck me as a good idea for the 1590b builds, but I'd wonder about putting anything bigger than than on there, the weight could probably cause it to pop out the socket. And in either case, they'd be near useless with strat style Jack sockets.

I could just glue or screw a clip onto the back panel, I was just wondering if anyone had any more elegant solutions. 

Cheers
Iain

patricks

I wouldn't call it elegant, but I've put some velcro on the bottom of my DIY MXR micro amp (loop side) and sewn the other side of the velcro onto the bottom of the shoulder strap that's attached to my travel guitar.

The micro amp is in a 1590A and runs off a 12V 23A battery that fits in the enclosure too, so it's nice and compact. I wouldn't leave the micro amp velcro-ed to the strap while I'm walking around, the 1590A is just a little too long to sit flush to the strap and even though it's heavy duty velcro it could still get knocked off. The setup doesn't look especially streamlined with all the cables attached, but it does the job well. It keeps the micro amp and cables away from the hearing aid loops when I'm practicing on the train, too. If the micro amp is just sitting on the seat I get nasty, whistling feedback.

I'll post pics later today, I've been meaning to put up a pic of the micro amp in the 1590A thread, too :)

J0K3RX

Quote from: slashandburn on August 12, 2016, 04:36:02 PM
but I'd wonder about putting anything bigger than than on there, the weight could probably cause it to pop out the socket. And in either case, they'd be near useless with strat style Jack sockets.

I've seen them on strat style jacks as well..
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/locking-1-4-chassis-jacks/

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

slashandburn

Those locking jack sockets ccertainly solve that problem!  I'd need to mod every guitar i have though. and the 1590bb amps might rub on my leg, or worse.

Velcro is another great idea, as is attaching them to the strap rather than a belt!

My only other idea is mounting something like this to the back panel

J0K3RX

Put the guitar cord in the clip before clipping it on your belt or strap. That should secure the cord and keep it from getting yanked out of the guitar or pedal jacks.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

anotherjim

There is a belt clip intended for a range of ABS boxes. 2 screw fixing thru from inside the case. It is ABS and is strong enough. Works fine on diecast boxes. I've used it for several belt worn pre-amps.
Evatron CL1N
http://evatron.com/enclosures/accessories/cl1n/

tubegeek

In stationery stores I have seen document clips that are possible candidates.

They come in a couple of sizes and look like this:

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

PRR

Many yard-sales have tape-measures with a busted tape or jammed spring but the belt-clip is good.
  • SUPPORTER

patricks

Here we go, a few days late :)

The travel guitar:

Headphone amp attached:

Apologies for the large images, Photobucket doesn't have an option to resize the linked image.
Also a cross-post to the 1590A thread in case you want to see gut shots :)

slashandburn

Perfect!   One of those document clips would do the trick.  And I have a fair few tape measures I could take one from and not even have to leave the house. Wish I'd thought of that one myself!

Cheers folks!