DIY: Big Muff Rams Head [problem]

Started by khm9, August 14, 2016, 09:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khm9

Hi everyone,

I have 2 problems with this Big Muff I built using IvIark's vero layout from http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/06/ehx-73-rams-head-big-muff.html

1: the volume is insanely loud compared to the bypassed sound. I am clueless here, it's not a big of a problem but I'd like to solve it if possible.

2: Tone control (I built this with a switch, sw1)
Well on this one, tone doesn't work like it should.
When I turn the tone pot from beginning to end, there are barely any changes, just a slight volume increase before the end.

When I was testing this circuit, I built it without the switch and the tone was working fine, just like it should.

Here's what did now:
I took both "Tone 3" and "SW1" from the PCB and soldered to the switch, leaving the Tone 3 lug on the pot empty.

Did I make a mistake here? Should I have soldered Tone 3 from pot to the switch?

Thank you :)

Layout:

Elijah-Baley

I'd connect the switch in this way:
- Sw1 of the switch to the board at Sw1.
- Tone 3 of the switch to the lug 3 of the pot.

- Tone 3 from the board to the lug 3 of the Tone pot.

I read the layout like that.

About the volume issue, the Big Muff usually has a big volume, but not insane. Do you get an unit volume in some setting?
The distortion sounds good?
Check the transistors and diodes orientation.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

khm9

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on August 14, 2016, 10:02:14 AM
I'd connect the switch in this way:
- Sw1 of the switch to the board at Sw1.
- Tone 3 of the switch to the lug 3 of the pot.

- Tone 3 from the board to the lug 3 of the Tone pot.

I read the layout like that.

About the volume issue, the Big Muff usually has a big volume, but not insane. Do you get an unit volume in some setting?
The distortion sounds good?
Check the transistors and diodes orientation.

Thank you for a reply, I will do it this way today and let you know.

For all 4 transistors I used 2n5089. Voltages are good.
And for the distortion, compared to newly made NYC big muff I used to have, this big muff I built distortion is a lot less aggressive, it has lower distortion, sustain is amazing though.

What is unit volume? I don't understand that.

Thanks

khm9

Alright, the tone problem has been fixed thanks to Elijah-Baley suggestion. I've noticed that the muff has more aggression to the distortion now. But I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

As for the volume, round 9 or 10 o'clock I get the same volume as with bypassed sound, that's what unity is?

Over 12 o'clock it becomes way too loud.

Thanks

Elijah-Baley

Sorry, maybe my english is bad.
I meant that you said, anyway.
My built is the Sabrotone layout, I can set the volume at 12 o'clock, is high but not too much.
Are you sure that the overall tone of the pedal sounds right?
Try anyway to check some resistors, or caps. The orientations are ok?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

khm9

I am positive that the all parts are in place that they belong to.

However... I am not positive about the overall sound, it sounds good imo. I don't know how other people's builts of rams head sound so I obviously cant be sure if sound is good compared to other muffs. 

Well, tomorrow, for what's it worth I can record few sound samples with my cell phone, so maybe you could just get the idea of what it sounds like.

have a nice day