Painting and create a decal, what's the best options ?

Started by JulianLM, August 15, 2016, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianLM

Hi !

The question has probably been discussed but didn't find anything that answers my questions.

I bought spray paint from local hardware store, but it seems like the paint never really dry... It looks cool but I'm afraid for the futur. Will it be better with a varnish spray on it ? I'm waiting to finish the decal first.

Talking about the decal, I wanted to use waterslide decals. I did a first try, print it (Inkjet...), put the paper in water and... The paper became like gelatin and the inks started to dissolve in the water... If I put a varnish spray on it, it will fix my problem ?
I bought the cheapest decal paper I found (And it's not cheap !! lol Like 10$ for 5 sheets), maybe I should buy better quality ? Or I do something wrong ?

And last question, what software do you use for creating the pictures ? I'm actually trying Adobe Illustrator, is there something better ? Maybe I should put a varnish spray again ? (No, just kidding...)

Thank you all !  :icon_biggrin:

JLM

jimilee

I use clear spray paint. You have to let it dry at least 8 hours in a low humidity place. I use clear water slide also, you also have to clear coat that before you let it sit for a very short amount of time in cold water.probavly 45 seconds or until you can start sliding it off the paper. As for programs, I use photoshop, but if you can use illustrator, that works, the best program is whatever you are comfortable using. After you get it on to the pedal, let it dry for about 8 hours and, you guessed it, clear coat again no less that 3 times. It's what works for me anyway, I'm the spirit of DIY, do what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a2music

Hi Julian,
The paint part of this pursuit can be a real hassle. I've found that white, lacquer paint is often the best in terms of fast drying and as a neutral background for the waterslide decals. Apply the paint in *very thin* coats to prevent dripping and apply several coats. Even still spray paint isn't really durable enough for stomp boxes. It goes on sloppy, dries slowly then chips away as soon as you start using the pedal. Your best bet is to buy powder-coated  boxes from places like mammoth. They have excellent colors and do nice work.

Waterslide decals *must* be clear-coated before use. You can use polyurethane or lacquer clear coat. As with spray paint you'll do well to apply thin coats and probably 6 of them to be safe. Let the decals dry for at least 24 hours (no matter what the spray can says) before applying them to the box. Also - I have found that using Micro-Sol and Micro-Set make the decals stick better and last longer. There are videos on YouTube about Micro-Sol and Micro-Set that you might find helpful. You can buy those products online. I get them from Amazon.

Good luck!
Alex

karbomusic

QuoteI bought spray paint from local hardware store, but it seems like the paint never really dry

Thin coats and lots of them vs a few thicker coats, like really thin, thinner than you think which allows the paint to breathe and partially dry (not cure) before the next coat. If you coat too thick, the top layer turns into a skin which acts just like the lid on a paint can, sealing it off so the underlying paint can't dry and the surface will always likely be a little sticky/tacky - well it might dry in a year or two. :)

Ask me how I know this?

If you spray thin enough, the coat is almost dry to the touch in a minute or so, next coat, rinse and repeat - read the can, it will tell you the goldilocks zone for recoating.

bluebunny

At the risk of repeating what's just been said, I'm going to repeat what's just been said, because it's just worth repeating.   ;D

Thin coats.  Let 'em dry.

Wet paint (or clearcoat) on wet paint will never dry.  Ask me how I know...   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...