Popping Kill Switch. Please help

Started by Irish Luck, August 17, 2016, 12:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

Thanks RG. Had never seen that article before. This is the (almost) double pole switch I need for this bypass loop idea. For momentary audio path switching, I like the flip-flop options at Tone god's "wicked switches".
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Irish Luck

Well I found the solution.
I was messing with my pedalboard and was using a really old DOD 270 A/B box with nothing hooked into the 3rd jack. So when I hit the button it kills the sound without having to keep turning the amp off and on. Then I noticed something. It was killing the signal silently. No clicks, pops or any noise at all, just silence.
So I opened it up to check how it was wired. Problem solved! It's different than the schematics I've seen around for the kill switch. It's a DPDT but can be converted to a SPST for the kill switch since there's third jack. Or use a DPDT and add an LED on the second row. Easy as pie. Common is signal outgoing. Normally on it's connected to signal incoming through the switch.  Hit the switch and common (outgoing signal) is then connected to the other lug of the switch which goes to incoming ground with a 50k resistor between the switch and the jack lugs.
That's it. Works like a charm.

Thank you very much for all the detailed responses! And for taking your time to write them. Being fairly new to this most of it was over my head. But still very, very appreciated. Someday I'll understand all of this. But I was stuck to find a solution I could understand and this one just fell into my lap. It's helped me understand a few things along the way.

So thank you to everyone who posted in this thread. You guys are really cool and helpful to the new kid on the block. Great bunch of helpful people here. I'm so glad I joined the forums. I'm going to learn a lot from you guys!