Ibanez ts808 housing for a tonepad clone

Started by Racase, August 21, 2016, 12:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racase

I tried and failed at modding my ts808, so I bought a tonepad pcb just finished populating the circuit and I am wondering whether I can use the existing off board components. 

Can I just put the one lead from the footswitch directly into the 9v. hole?

How can I get the led into the circuit?

How should I mount the power jack?

Thanks in advance.

thermionix

I'm having trouble viewing the .pdf over at tonepad for some reason, but I'll take a guess that they've done the Tube Screamer with true bypass.  If so, the footswich operation is completely different than the stock TS808, and you'll need to use a different kind of switch.  You can fit the needed switch into your existing pedal, I think without any drilling or reaming.  You should have no problem using your existing in/out jacks and pots.  For the power jack you'll probably have to drill a new hole.

thermionix

Missed the LED question.  If it is true bypass like I'm assuming, the LED is turned on and off at the foot switch, which will likely need to be a latching 3PDT type, rather than the stock momentary SPST type.  I don't know if your tonepad board has a place to mount the LED (I would guess not) or current limiting resistor.

Racase

I had the same difficulty today at the tonepad, but found the pdf elsewhere.  https://www.u-cursos.cl/usuario/125f006b1dcdd406c6c85298a6a14229/mi_blog/r/tonepad_tubescreamer.pdf.  Anything I can do to preserve the unique rectangular switch?

Here is the guts of the pedal currently:

Ice-9

If you want to use the standard switch for true bypass and led you will have to use something like the clickerless relay true bypass module.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Racase

Is that similar to the millennium bypass?  I found info on that.  Do I really need true bypass for the schematic? Obviously a noob, sorry.

Racase

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sw_spdt_ntb_in.pdf

Found this, wondering if I can modify it.

Can I

1)just connect the the sleeve wires together to ground

2) get a suitable DC jack (suggestions if you please), connect the DC directly to the 9v hole on the pcb, and then...

3) ...not at all sure how to toggle on/off, but I think it's just a simple momentary switch with two leads; one red and one ground.  Could I make use of that...somehow wire to the output jack.

4) For the LED indicator I saw a schematic that showed two wires attached to the 9v slot, one a direct input from jack, and the other going to an LED through a 2k2 resistor.  Could That work?

This is my first stompbox project.  Thank you all for the input, I am learning quite a bit all at once here.  Much appreciated!

Ice-9

Quote from: Racase on August 21, 2016, 08:08:35 AM
Is that similar to the millennium bypass?  I found info on that.  Do I really need true bypass for the schematic? Obviously a noob, sorry.

No, it has nothing to do with millennium bypass, Millenium is so that a 2pdt footswitch can be used for true bypass and a LED.

Relay true bypass is usually a pic chip (or similar) can control the bypass relay and control an LEd while using the standard momentary spst footswitch found in Ibanez and boss pedals.

example here  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=113094.0
and here  http://www.muzique.com/schem/bypass.htm

Other options would be to build the GGG ts808 into a new case  or fix the Ibanez 808 ??

After looking at the picture above it might prove a good idea to add all jacks and pots with the circuit unboxed to test everything works before putting it all in an enclosure, you may have some shorts of dry joints on your circuit board. It is easier to test everything outside the box first.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Racase

Looks like I will have to get the kit.  Seems like a sure bet.  Thanks everyone for your help!

That aside.  What's everyone's favorite dc jack since I'll be need to be replacing it?