Need help troubleshooting Cry Baby Wah

Started by Henry89789, August 24, 2016, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry89789

I have a Rev. G Cry Baby which I intended to modify but it doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

I have compiled a substantial amount of data as follows (The numbers and Roman Numerals are in reference to the attached pic):
Voltages:
1. (Diode) 7.25v (the bottom leg)
2. 9.16v - 7.25v (btm)
3. 6.9 - 7.24v (btm)
4. 6.47v - 0
V.  2.8 - .93 - 7.24
VI.  .36 - .93 - 7.22
VII. 6.58 - 6.97 - 6.47
X.  0 - 2.00 (btm)
XI.  .94 - .93
Zero voltage at the switch; zero voltage at the inductor.
Using a battery, none of the pins had voltage except the red wire pin and the pin at the far right without a wire;  using a power supply, none of the pins had voltage.
Results of Audio Probe test:
Nos 1-4 in the pic: No sound.
V: yes, yes, no; VI: yes, yes, no; VII: No sound.
Sound at: input tip; green wire at the pin and switch; both sides of "X" (in the pic) (cap with effect wire to the switch); both sides of the 68k resistor (fourth from left on second row in pic).
The four other components in the buffer portion of the circuit have sound on one side.
At the switch, the effect wire, the green wire, and the jumped pin all have sound. None of the other components have sound.
The bypass mod has been performed on this pedal; the appropriate trace has been cut. R4 and R7 have been changed.
This is with the effect switched on; when the switch is in this position with the pedal and guitar plugged into a live amp, there is NO sound. When I press the switch, in what I suppose is the by-pass position. I get the sound of a straight amplified guitar playing through the pedal.

thermionix

It's very hard to tell with that lo-res pic.  Can you upload a legible copy of the schematic, and label the points where you get sound, and whether it's dry sound or effected sound?

Also, what's the added wire?

Henry89789

Well I stumbled in to a fix. I undid some of the mods I had done using a working crybaby as a guide. And after restoring the original values to a couple of resistors it worked.

thermionix

LightSoundGeometry

therm, you must be the wah guy same as electric warrior is the tonebender dude lol

I have mine at original cry baby values now and love it..all these mods ..blah..no need to improve on what is good. the one I redid is a little warmer but I thinks its just a adjustment on the pot spindle/gear head

truth of it was, I wasnt used to using a wah and it threw me off but the a51's are just a but too quacky and fast if that makes any sense. my original is super trebly and has the %^&*ed honk tone a little more than the one I redid which is warmer/bassier