Why is my FF squealing but output's low?

Started by exztinct01, August 31, 2016, 05:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

I built a fuzz face using tonepad's positive ground layout but instead of germanium, I used 2N5401 PNP transistors. I tested their hFe and both gave a value at 140+, but I did not change any other values of the components.
Here's the layout http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=82
The problem is when I set the Volume and Fuzz pots at max, it squeals. Still, the output is not even at the level when it's bypassed.
Could it be biasing? Or maybe wiring layout? I dunno. Care to provide some help?

~ Stephen

exztinct01

Anyway, here's my actual layout. There were too many heatshrink tubing as I was a bit confused before how to wire a positive ground circuit. And, black wire's the positive  :)
~ Stephen

Gus

first
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Next shorten your wires to the controls and switch. 

If Silicon why not NPN neg ground?

exztinct01

Quote from: Gus on August 31, 2016, 06:07:04 AM
If Silicon why not NPN neg ground?
Good point  :)
I'll make that change then
~ Stephen

exztinct01

Wait, I actually added a link to the schem and layout, didn't I? It's on the first post.
And it does work, only problems,are the squeal with controls maxed, low output but useable. And it's too fizzy.
~ Stephen

amz-fx

It looks like your red and black power wires are reversed, according to the Tonepad layout. Hard to say for sure from the picture.

Also, you cannot use a positive ground circuit powered at the same time by the same wall adapter as other pedals that are negative ground.  The positive ground power must be isolated. Test the pedal when it is the only one being powered by the adapter, or use a battery for it (better solution).

regards, Jack

exztinct01

Yeah, I reversed them coz I'm more familiar with black wire as ground, even though it's positive here. And, that wiring's good, you can check it. Power I use is from battery outside the case connected to a dc plug, pin positive.

I'll try to upload a video to demo the noises I get here.
~ Stephen

R.G.

Modern silicon transistors have gain at frequencies so high that germanium can't imagine running there.  Try putting a 100pF cap from the collector to the base of the first transistor, and a0.1uF CERAMIC cap across the power supply. If that doesn't help, you have layout or power issues.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

exztinct01

the 104 across the PS, is that a filter?
I'll upload the voltages tomorrow.
~ Stephen