issues with modified ts808 pedal

Started by Belanger, August 31, 2016, 01:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belanger

ok, so this is a slightly modified ts808 that I made off of the regular ts808 layout at tagboard. it sorta works but only when the gain is turned down really low and same with the volume. I'm going to try using the stock 500k for gain now instead of the 1m and let you know if that helps, other two pots are 5kb and 100kb. other subs are mostly just a few resistor values being dropped the same as the dead horse od as well as a few caps being increased
input cap 27nf, and the 47 nf is bumped up to a 220nf   all resistors match the dead horse exactly   ill post some pictures in a minute

my voltages are

IC
1-2.40
2-4.25
3-4.23
4-0
5-2
6-2.78
7-2.82
8-9.74

Q1
E-3.3
B-3.45
C-9.73

Q2
E-3.45
B-3.50
C-9.72
The best substitute for intelligence is silence

Belanger

Kipper4

Are the B E pins shorted? Surely there should be a diode drop from B to E?
A schematic wouldnt hurt. Belanger. Dead Horse you say......I've flogged a few of those.....
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Belanger

also i know the diodes are facing the same way, i meant to do that

Belanger

Also, I wrote the diode thing before reading anything you said lol just so you don't think I was saying that in reference to your comment.  This one I built here there isn't an exact schematic of It just traced the pedal and its another one of their OD pedals which like I said is very lightly modified . It's a very lightly modified dead horse OD

Groovenut

Just so you are aware, this schematic has an error. In the feedback loop of the first opamp, there is a resistor of 51R that should be a cap of 51p. If you did indeed put a resistor there, you wont get any gain at all.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Belanger

yeah I knew that thanks, though, it's the silver mica cap on my board. like I said the only thing I used from this schematic is the resistor values and that because there the exact same as the pedal I traced which is a signature OD by them.  the rest is really similar but I didn't build from this schematic this is just a reference for you guys because someone asked me for a schematic

he uses gauss markovs tube screamer etch layout to build all of his OD pedals so it was really easy to figure everything out.  I own the merrow, Loomis and Misha signature OD pedals and the only differences are a few cap values and one resistor value on one of them

intripped

what transistors have you used? have you checked the pinout?

also check that 10K resistor close to the opamp: looks like 100K

Kipper4

The copper doesn't look very shines on the vero.
Did I say vero and I don't get along too well.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

pappasmurfsharem

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

slacker

It looks like you've got a blob of solder shorting the "tone 2" row to the one above it, that would cause weirdness. Your pin 1 voltage is way off, it should be about 4.5 volts as should 5, 6 and 7. I would try unsoldering one end of the 1k that connects pins 1 and 5, to break the connection between them and then measure the voltages again. If pin 1 reads 4.5 volts the problem is probably somewhere round pin 5 if pins 5,6 and 7 read about 4.5 volts the problem is around pin 1.

Belanger

Quote from: intripped on August 31, 2016, 03:25:35 PM
what transistors have you used? have you checked the pinout?

also check that 10K resistor close to the opamp: looks like 100K

2n5088

Belanger

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on August 31, 2016, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: Belanger on August 31, 2016, 02:06:22 PM

Why?

because that's how it is in the pedal i'm cloning

Belanger

Quote from: slacker on August 31, 2016, 04:19:56 PM
It looks like you've got a blob of solder shorting the "tone 2" row to the one above it, that would cause weirdness. Your pin 1 voltage is way off, it should be about 4.5 volts as should 5, 6 and 7. I would try unsoldering one end of the 1k that connects pins 1 and 5, to break the connection between them and then measure the voltages again. If pin 1 reads 4.5 volts the problem is probably somewhere round pin 5 if pins 5,6 and 7 read about 4.5 volts the problem is around pin 1.

i just checked the entire board for shorts with the continuity setting and i can't find any   i did what you suggested anyway but still the same voltages

robthequiet

[edit: never mind, re-read mica cap part]

[edit: closeness of the E to B pins looks weird, but I would ascribe that to some miniscule solder or bent trace bridge somewhere. Pot values would change the feel, but not the basic functionality, imo]

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Belanger on September 01, 2016, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on August 31, 2016, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: Belanger on August 31, 2016, 02:06:22 PM

Why?

because that's how it is in the pedal i'm cloning

From what I've read on the dead horse, it has your typical diodes in parallel and reversed as you would expect. With exception that the larger one has a switch to add an extra DIODE in series with one for asymetrical clipping.

As it is you wont be clipping one half of your input signal (unless you clip the OPAMP)
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Gus

Some of your IC voltages are wrong
Pin 8 should be the +9
Pin 4 ground
pins 2, 3, 1 and 5, 6, 7 should all be about 1/2 the supply voltage
The transistor base voltage are a little low
I would first check around pin1

Check all the nodes with the incorrect voltages for connection issues.

J0K3RX

In regards to the diodes, the gaussmarkov layout vs. the tagboard vero layout, when they are both pointed in the same direction they are not quite the same..

D1 and D2 are pointing in the same direction but, the way the traces are running makes it different from the vero.

See D1 and D2 in the schematic.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!