Question about modifying Colorsound wah swell pot wiring

Started by Henry89789, September 04, 2016, 12:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry89789

I bought a Colorsound wah swell pedal and it sounds good only in a very narrow range of the treadle's movement; this appears to be the result of the fact that the treadle works in reverse. I found these comments about it online: 

1. That wah pot is incorrectly connected. From what I can see in the video the outside lugs need to be reversed. Not only is it working backwards but the wah taper is reversed as well which makes most of the treadle travel sound muddy. Until that is changed it won't really sound much like a Colorsound wah at all. The correct taper is really important as you're missing a great portion of the treble zone.

2. Yes, the wah does indeed work backwards. I believe this is to facilitate the volume pedal function, which works in bypass mode.

3. Oh weird! It seems to just be the early Wah Swells that do this. I wasn't aware! Their method of changing from wah to volume is the reason. Really strange choice as it has such a negative effect on the sweep of the wah. More like a woo-woo pedal.

4.  I also swapped the leads on the pot around so that the wah worked the 'correct' way and this didn't alter the swell effect!

My question is whether the comment in number four is correct; will simply swapping the leads around on the pot make the pedal work the 'correct way?' Here are a couple of pics of the pedal; If the comment is correct which wires should be swapped around?