Awesome IC score at flea market today!

Started by gbkd80, September 04, 2016, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbkd80

So I was up at the big flea market today and I usually hunt around for parts and stuff (got a whole 10-drawer cabinet full of NOS components and parts last season for 40 bucks) - found this one guy selling mixed components, lots of old dirty caps and stuff, and he had this container full of ICs... I started picking through it and it is mostly standard op-amps (4558, LM301s, etc) but tons of them, some in foam, most loose just kicking around... look at the middle of the picture:

I said "how much for the lot?"  "....I dunno, $10 bucks?"  "SOLD"

I really hope they work.  If they do, that is probably one of the dopest finds in my part searching yet.  It works out because I have an old MXR green-box analog delay that has some issues, and I wouldn't discount that it could be the chip, so I will plug these into it and see if anything gets better or stays the same... I don't know if my flanger has the 1024 or 2 512s (or 1 512, I can't remember).  Either way, what's that in today's money, almost $200 alone on those 2 chips?

I'm glad I have good eyes because I don't remember things worth a crap lol :)

ElectricDruid

Nice find!

What are the pink brick things, out of interest?

Tom

Mark Hammer

Proof of the divine!

The question now is whether you should buy lottery tickets while you're on a "good luck roll", or whether you should avoid taking any chances whatsoever because you've pretty much used up your good luck for the year. :icon_lol:

But very nice score.  Once in a while those happen.

gbkd80

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 05, 2016, 07:33:06 AM
Nice find!

What are the pink brick things, out of interest?

Tom

Those are sample/hold bricks and relays... I think?  lol  - I honestly have no idea what they'd be used for.

gbkd80

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 05, 2016, 09:14:19 AM
Proof of the divine!

The question now is whether you should buy lottery tickets while you're on a "good luck roll", or whether you should avoid taking any chances whatsoever because you've pretty much used up your good luck for the year. :icon_lol:

But very nice score.  Once in a while those happen.

Heh, seriously, right?  I think with my luck, I'll avoid the lotto tickets! 

Mark Hammer

Check into that Melcor 1731 module.  Looks very interesting, as does the Intech A880.

PRR

Melcor 1731 is an audio op-amp, too good for guitar. Find studio-geeks and sell it.

> Intech A880

Just what it says: a sample-hold module from 1965. By the time you figure it out, you could have built several stomp-appropriate sample/hold effects out of modern 19 cent parts.

http://pdf.dzsc.com/200872/200807020955391526.pdf
  • SUPPORTER

pulse_divider

AFAIK that Melcor is the precursor to the API 2520 discrete op amp that is the building block of API preamps/consoles/compressors/EQs.
Probably worth at least $100 if working

pulse_divider

Also, those Reticons are notoriously non-resistant to static discharge and I'd recommend finding yourself an anti-static bag for them

digi2t

SAD1024 tester;

Or, if you know someone with a first edition MXR flanger (M117), you can test them in that. If memory serves me, the MXR uses the two sides of the 1024 in series, so if one or both sides are kaput, you'll know quick enough.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

gbkd80

Quote from: digi2t on September 06, 2016, 07:55:14 PM
Or, if you know someone with a first edition MXR flanger (M117), you can test them in that. If memory serves me, the MXR uses the two sides of the 1024 in series, so if one or both sides are kaput, you'll know quick enough.

:icon_mrgreen:  Heh... I have one.

You literally just beat me to it lol!  I just tested them both in the flanger and they work fine.  Phew :)

I was really bummed to find out that my MXR Analog Delay (vintage, 118 model green box) has a Reticon 5101 chip; pretty much super unobtanium.  I was thinking, sight unseen, when I got the chips I could plug 'em into my delay and see if the *issues* I'm having with it could in fact be the BBD chip (or in the MXR delay's case, a CCD) but I guess I'll never know now.  At least I have a working flanger for life (more or less).

stringsthings