Scavenger Hunt

Started by Alex83tele, September 14, 2016, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex83tele

I had an old Sony reel to reel tape recorder from the 70's I'd guess (model # tc-530 if I remember correctly) that I had used for decoration for years. The motor was burned out, tape head wasn't functioning, it was done for. Inside, it was only very dusty, and showed no sign of moisture or any other damage. The 1/4" jacks had some oxidation just from air and they were loose, but that was the only visible wear. I thought it was pretty cool to have Japanese made potentiometers that I can use on my next project. I found some cool diodes, transistors, and a pair of solenoids (I'm not sure what to do with those), but I'm not sure what to think of the capacitors. Two questions:

1. As long as there hasn't been any damage or misuse of the circuitry, can I expect the resistors and capacitors to be reliable?

2. Are there any other components I should be looking for in a piece of this age that could have some cool uses in an effect build?

I've added some photos just to give you an idea of the age. I realize now that they don't show much in the way of components. The last photo being the solenoid, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kipper4

Just beware the power section caps. I know from bitter experience they hold a good deal of charge.
It made my arm shake.
Somebody better than me could surely advise on mains electricity devices. I try to stick to strictly 9volts.
Happy and safe savaging.
Some restorers may pay good money for bits. I'd look at that avenue too.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Alex83tele

Quote from: Kipper4 on September 14, 2016, 06:49:24 PM
Just beware the power section caps. I know from bitter experience they hold a good deal of charge.
It made my arm shake.
Somebody better than me could surely advise on mains electricity devices. I try to stick to strictly 9volts.
Happy and safe savaging.
Some restorers may pay good money for bits. I'd look at that avenue too.
Good points. I myself stay on the lower voltage side. This thing has been unplugged for so long, I can't imagine it still holds a charge but I'll be careful. And I should check with some vintage electronic shops about possible restorers of old stereo equipment.

Hatredman

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

duck_arse

I think those are solenoid wound, but not solenoids as such, as they have no moving parts. they might well be bias oscillator coils due to the tuning slugs hanging out the top.

[no one wants to see the slug hanging out.]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Alex83tele

Quote from: duck_arse on September 15, 2016, 12:42:51 PM
[no one wants to see the slug hanging out.]

Amen to that. I think you're right. Bias oscillator coils fit the bill. They certainly would have been in a reel to reel tape deck from this era. I imagine they operate at lower voltage, but I'm not sure.

Alex83tele

Quote from: Hatredman on September 15, 2016, 10:26:00 AM

Oh, c'mon!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76932.0

Now, now, I don't mean anyone any harm. I couldn't get the links to load, but it seems to me that what I've got isn't a solenoid at all. Just looked like one, but I got the gist of the jack white stuff, so now I know what to do if I find some.

Hatredman

Read the post I linked. It's highly informative about big copper things, circuit boxes with burst switches, Kirk Hammett and hot naked chicks that play telecasters.

Enviado do olho da rua da amargura.

PRR

> I thought it was pretty cool to have Japanese made potentiometers

Back in the 1970s, we thought they were crap. (We maybe didn't know what crap was.)

That tape machine was cheap crap, but it started many careers.

The electrolytic caps (have a + or - mark) are past their use-by date.

The film caps, resistors, and transistors will be fine, if you get them out without cracking the seals. The speakers are quite good for LM386-scale power amplifiers.

I sure would not worry about stored charge. Being basically a pocket radio with a lot of added mechanisms, it is all low voltage.
  • SUPPORTER

Alex83tele

Quote from: PRR on September 17, 2016, 12:13:27 AM
The film caps, resistors, and transistors will be fine, if you get them out without cracking the seals.

That's actually handy, because film caps are the harder ones to find locally. I always have to order them.

I guess I don't know that the pots are any better than the cheap ones made today. I knew that they weren't super special, since they were in a mass produced item intended for home use, so there really isn't a reason to believe they would be better.

The speakers are in very nice shape though.

Kipper4

The speakers I used to make my noisy cricket came from an old sharps R2R.
If you come across one of my demos you will see they make great amps for testing pedals at bedroom level.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: Hatredman on September 16, 2016, 09:25:46 PM
Read the post I linked. It's highly informative about big copper things, circuit boxes with burst switches, Kirk Hammett and hot naked chicks that play telecasters.

**In his best "Gomer Pyle" voice*** For shame, for shame,  FOR SHAME"!  ;)
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

duck_arse

because I'm going to say "I wonder what the inductance of those coils is - they might be the start of a theremin", I'm also allowed to say "nobody has posted to that thread for a while, people just mention it obliquely. I wonder why."
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Hatredman

Quote from: duck_arse on September 20, 2016, 11:12:03 AM
because I'm going to say "I wonder what the inductance of those coils is - they might be the start of a theremin", I'm also allowed to say "nobody has posted to that thread for a while, people just mention it obliquely. I wonder why."

Obliquely is sexier.

Enviado de meu cm_A6020 usando Tapatalk

LightSoundGeometry

i was in a work explosion doing construction in may of 2000..im scared to to drain electros and work on an amp until I see a qualified tech do it in person and I have at least a profession testing device like a fluke ..not my 12  dollar vicci. I think you a variac too..there are special tools these guys use to keep safe and always the one hand rule

lol

armillary

Own any microphones? The mic preamps in tape recorders have a following all their own. You may find the mic preamps (removed and used mostly intact) in your Sony add  an interesting lo-fi ambiance to your vocal or instrument mics. It's a hobby just like effects pedals, only different. Just a thought.   

robthequiet

Looks like it's in better shape than the RCA radio I saved from a barn. Has some germanium transistors, but otherwise nothing special. Same PCB traces as your tape deck.

GibsonGM

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on January 12, 2017, 06:21:11 PM
i was in a work explosion doing construction in may of 2000..im scared to to drain electros and work on an amp until I see a qualified tech do it in person and I have at least a profession testing device like a fluke ..not my 12  dollar vicci. I think you a variac too..there are special tools these guys use to keep safe and always the one hand rule

We need to get you an oil burner transformer  :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: GibsonGM on January 13, 2017, 08:57:59 AM
Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on January 12, 2017, 06:21:11 PM

We need to get you an oil burner transformer  :)

well if I go its either having sex or stuck to a tube amp power section  ;D

tubegeek

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry link=topic=115059.msg1079303#msg1079303
well if I go its either having sex or stuck to a tube amp power section  ;D

Aren't they the same thing? I must be doing it wrong....
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR