One of my biggest pedal building frustrations...

Started by Beo, September 23, 2016, 10:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

Placing a parts order online, only to realize later I forgot something.

I'm sure it happens to all of us. In a pinch I can get any standard component I'm missing from my local Vetco shop. But for ICs they generally only have some of the NTE equivalents, and often not the harder to find parts often used in pedals. In this case, I forgot to order some ICs; CD4007, CD4047, CD4049. There are probably equivalents, but I'll probable survey my stock, and just place another online order with extras. But of course, I'll forget something again!

:) rant over

cnspedalbuilder

Happened to me 5 times on my last build (well I was building 3 at the same time!).

Elijah-Baley

Happen to me, too. Didn't happen just with the very first order, perhaps.
With my last order I don't miss anything in the end, actually I ordered linear pots instead log pots as treble and bass for my Timmy Overdrive. At least I can use them, anyway.
And I forgot a 10nF, Timmy again. I take that of my X-Fuzz, stilll not built, and take a 10nF from a Little Angel never working. I was lucky.

Orerding some extra components for testing some circuits I have accumulated some of them, this sometimes save me. Replace the 10k Speed pot for the Trmulus Lune and I'm using a 100k linear. I have absolutely to replace it with a 100k anti-log, but meanwhile I can use it.

There are some equivalent components of course. I try and keep them if there's no problem and if these components are already verified at 100%.

Anywway, I always try to get the right components and to follow the layout, even if I have to wait some months for the next order.

I would ask a question: what is your way to place the orders?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Keeb

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on September 24, 2016, 03:48:40 AM
I would ask a question: what is your way to place the orders?

I used to order as I built stuff. Then you realise you ordered the smd version of the IC instead of through hole etc, you needed one more part or whatever.

So I ordered a bulk of common resistors, caps, diodes, transistors, IC's, trimmers and pots from Tayda using their coupon. Then every time I need something I don't have I'll order more than I need (at least 10). Then try to score FETs or BBDs from reputable sources (like forum users or known vendors).

Most components (passives at least) are so cheap that buying 100 each is cheaper than paying for shipping twice. Then you can combine or substitute parts and get by just fine. You need to have some form of sorted storage though...

amptramp

This makes me happy that I have Sayal, A-1 Electronics and AA Electronics all within a 10 mile radius.  I don't have to plan, but I do anyway - it just keeps the annoyance level down.  Also if you are getting a switch with push-on terminals, you can measure the terminal size before you order them.  There are some things that are not apparent when you first start a design.

Elijah-Baley

I order just what I need with my stuff, too.
I write the bill of materials for every project (usually about 4 projects).
I fill the cart of Tayda. On a text document I write everything I put in the cart with the annotating the quantity with referring to the project (example: 5 - Cap 100uF E - Blue Box 3, Commander 2). It is a bit codified, but I can get it, of course.
Then I check if there is something missing looking every single project in my notes, in the cart and if there's some discrepancy I found out what is.
I order using the coupon of Tayda. For enclosures and the stuff I can't find on Tayda I order from somewhere else.
I never can't spend too much of this stuff, I buy just some extra components in case.

Tayda sells 10 resistors at a time, so usually I never miss them, currently I have a lot of resistors, but those I use often (current limiter for led 1k-4.7k, or 1M-2M as pull down) when they are only 3-4 I can order others.

Because I check everything, I have annotated all the details, etc. my method seems perfect, right? Not really... ::) But exist a really perfect one? :o
In the past I forgot the Tremulus Lune's knobs and pots (WHAT?); I forgot Rub-a-Dub Deluxe's pots; I confused Log and Linear pot, (do I have problems with the pots? Nah... :P); I missed a single cap sometime, and it is enough for stall a project.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel