guitar tone pot modification for fuzzbox addicts

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 26, 2016, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi guys, been on the road since april pretty much so no time to do anything diy, my breadboard is covered with cobwebs...
but i was building a new guitar, a little les paul jr dc kinda dealio and i wanted a better tone pot. so i got to thinking about hi and lo pass filters, and figured why not try 'em both on one pot? i figured it wouldn't work, but was surprised how well it worked. give it a try if so inclined.
when it's half way up, it's pretty much normal tone. turn it down, and it cuts treble AND bass slightly and lets ya get a cleaner tone as well as affecting the amount of treble... less bass = less distortion, right? when ya crank it up,  the little cap bleeds treble thru and allow more bass to come in as well as allowing more treble... gives the illusion of a boost, sorta... the key here is if ya use fuzzes like i do, turning down lets you clean up your tone while retaining some beef, and cranking it will give ya more balls by the increased bass content. well, obviously not increased, it's all illusion and smoke n mirrors, but i don't care cuz it works better than my lame description... try it out if ya want, let me know what ya'll think.
peace out

you can take it off the output of the guitar, whether from the volume control or the pickup switch if it has one. real handy for getting "more" out of a two knob guitar.

so far i've only tried it with a p90 sized humbucker, but it totally kicks ass in series or parallel with it.

adds one  .01$ part to the normal control

use audio taper pot for best result linear doesn't seem to sweep as cleanly.

rock on my friends... look forward to checking in once in a while now that life is slowing down.
this would probably work IN pedals, too...
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr