Voltage Divider Vref NOOB question

Started by masca666, September 29, 2016, 05:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masca666

Sorry for posting a possible dumb question, but after hooking up things around the breadboard for 2 hours I need clarification..
After experimenting with transistors circuits, I'm trying my first opamp build. I'm following the idea of the Proco Rat.
http://www.electrosmash.com/images/tech/pro-co-rat/pro-co-rat-schematic-parts.jpg

Problem is this: checking the voltage after the 1M resistor for Vref, reads up about 2 volts instead of 4.5V. Checking the node before the 1M, where the two 100k join reads fine (4.5V). Is this right? Isn't the +input supposed to be sitting at 4.5V?
Am i missing something here? "problem" still present if i disconnect the 1M lead from the signal path. Lowering resistor value (100k instead of 1M) gives reading closer to half Vcc (4.1V).
Why is the reading changing so much? The resistor after the node is just for current limiting, right? Why in my reading it shows as it affects the voltage?

Thanks in advance.

PRR

Voltmeters suck.

Yours is sucking like a 0.8Meg resistor. That's typical of some low-price or some heavy-duty DMMs. A real electronics geek will own a 10Meg meter. This still reads low on a 1Meg source (near 4V instead of 4.5V).
  • SUPPORTER

masca666

Thanks so much.. somehow for a moment I tought there was something wrong with my chinese 7$ DMM   :-X
I will keep that in mind from now on..
If you have any suggestion for a decent reliable multimiter, it would be awesome.
Take care,
Marco

PRR

> a possible dumb question

There are no "dumb" questions. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. Everybody learns.

And Welcome!
  • SUPPORTER

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: PRR on September 29, 2016, 09:18:13 PM

Everybody learns.

My wife teaches High School English. She would dispute your claim.  ;)
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me