Tonepad 301 Flanger

Started by Rotting, October 14, 2003, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotting

So, has there been any updates on this project? Is it a known working project? I had seen some posts about it not working with most people. Are there any known issues/fixes? Just checking...thanks!

Bill Bergman

Mine works Great!!!! Very quiet, very smooth. If you under power it with 9v you can get a cool rubbery reverb sound.

Jose

Gotta get new opamps for mine, so its shelved for now 'till I get tl062's. Jose :)

Aharon

Mine didn't work but somebody said that the transistor that was a dual in the original has to be matched when you use two,is there any truth to that?.
Aharon
Aharon

Bill Bergman

I think I bought matched NTE's if I remember correctly

dj_death

Looking at the schematic of the flanger the Q106 is stated as a 2SA1015 at the comments on the right of the page which is a PNP. But Q106 is drawed as NPN and at francisco's Layout all transistors are 2n5088(NPN). I think that Francisco was confused by the schematic. Looking at the biasing of Q106 the emitter is at Vcc, which means that the BE junction
of the tranistor conducts only if it is a PNP.If we use a NPN the Bc junction will conduct and BE junction will be off which is out of specification for bjts.I think that a 2n5087 should be used for Q106.I hope this is the solution to the problem, because i'm in search for a working flanger project. I still don't know if Ultra Flanger works!

Aharon

Thanks Dj for that insight into the transistors,maybe that's the missing link.
The UltraFlanger works but has a massive tick at the output and I have not heard of anybody that has gottenn rid of it,the only one that claims he built a silent one is John Hollis himself.
Aharon
Aharon

Bill Bergman

Sorry Aharon,
my post was probably incorrect or misleading about the match transistors. That what you get when I try to remember what I did a while back. Hope you get yours working. It's a great pedal.

dj_death

I hope this helps guys, because i really want to build this flanger!!!

Aharon

Quote from: Bill BergmanSorry Aharon,
my post was probably incorrect or misleading about the match transistors. That what you get when I try to remember what I did a while back. Hope you get yours working. It's a great pedal.

No worries Bill,I don't remember myself what I did on a specific pedal,now I'm more prone to taking notes.
I hope I get it working too,although I think I have to rebuild the whole thing,traces lifted after trroubleshooting for so long.
Aharon
Aharon

dj_death

What about Q106 it is a NPN or a PNP the schematic is really confusing. The 2SA1015 that the schematic states for Q106 is a PNP ,Fransisco what do you think?Bill what transistor you used for Q106, because i might be wrong.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Quote from: dj_deathWhat about Q106 it is a NPN or a PNP the schematic is really confusing. The 2SA1015 that the schematic states for Q106 is a PNP ,Fransisco what do you think?Bill what transistor you used for Q106, because i might be wrong.

I have been digging thru the email Bill sent me when he was building the prototype (back in August 2002!, no wonder we don't remember!). And at one point I asked him about the transistors he used, his reply was "some 2N3904's and a 2N3906". So there's the answer, Q106 is PNP.

Oh, and no matching needed for any of the transistors is mentioned anywhere (which was at one point believed to have been the cause of the effect not working)

The new revision of the PDF with that correction is now available at tonepad, go ahead and download it.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

dj_death

Thank you for responding Fransisco. I hope that's the solution and Aharon gets his flanger working.

dj_death

Also the Boss Flanger "http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/Bf2.gif" is a circuit very very simillar to Ibanez Flanger and uses the cheaper MN3207 , MN3102.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I think the Ibanez FL9 also uses the MN3207/MN3102...

Both are good starting points for those wanting to use those IC's instead.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Any updates on this?

I'm about to finish populating mine and I may be able to fire it up tonight...

Fp

Bill Bergman

Good luck FP. Hope it sounds as good as mine. Thanks for the project!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Hi Bill!

I sure hope it sounds as good as yours! From what I hear you're selling your ADA flanger... Is this the FL301 the only flanger you're keeping?

Fp

Bill Bergman

Nope, I have a bunch of different flangers thanks to the DIY community.

Joep

Mine is also almost finished. I have to put on only some cap's and the pot's and connectors. Unfortunatelly I very busy at work and away the coming weekend so I think I'm not be able to finish it after the weekend.

I looking forward to your result Fransisco, let us know!

Bye,

Joep