News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

so much spam

Started by aron, September 30, 2016, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I made it so the account needs a small number of posts to post without verification.
There was a new update to SMF this morning but it seems to have screwed up the top part of the forum. I think it was icons for private messages or profile. Will be looking into it.

thermionix

aron

Yes I was trying to see if the theme was the cause but not sure of this bug with the header being screwed up.will check on it more today.

Mark Hammer

A very big and deep tip of the hat to you, Aron, for taking care of this.  I don't think many members realize just how much aggravation you've had to put up with over the years.  This is one more to add to the pile.  So from the bottom of my heart. thanks.

And to the senders, from the bottom of my heart, go...away....far away.

aron

Wait? Am I the only one missing the Home Help Search Profile My Messages Calendar  etc... on the top?

I logged in with a tester account and it looks normal, but when I log in with my account, it's missing. Let me know if you see it.

balkanizeyou

I lost the "show unread replies to your posts" etc, but I can see Home Help Search Profile My Messages Calendar.

aron

Show unread is found by clicking the arrow on top right. The white downward right arrow.

balkanizeyou

:icon_redface: my bad, it was staring me in the face the whole time.

Other than that, I have no other issues

bluebunny

All looks good from here.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aron

Bummer since I am the only one with the problem!

tester

aron

OK the bots have to work a little harder now.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Quackzed

and russian spam to boot... might be related.  :-\ pita
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Ben Lyman

Thanks Aron, and I'm really sorry I reported so many of them
I thought I was helping somehow and then my brother says, "you're just spamming the moderator!"
:icon_redface:
oops, sorry
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

aron

No, thank you for reporting it! I appreciate it. Hopefully they give up now.

duck_arse

this might sound like a dumb question, but what is their point? why the mindless posts, what is it supposed to achieve? how are we supposed to react such that they profit? or are they just laying in some bad code?
don't make me draw another line.

Quackzed

my initial suspicion was that it was a thin veneer of mindless advert type posts in order to fish for personal info or credit card info for the usual purposes... i sort of smacked myself in the forehead AFTER i clicked to see wtf the posts were...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

stallik

Thanks yet again Aron. It's interesting to note that the likes system on this version of SMF doesn't report accurately the view of us here when looking at your tally. Please accept an extra 1000 from me :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein