Tonepad Rebote 3 delay issue..no sound output

Started by IEATNOISE, October 05, 2016, 09:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IEATNOISE

I recently assembled this delay circuit on the PCB supplied by tonepad. However, I am getting NO output at all from the circuit (delay or guitar..just NOTHING). I have triple checked orientation of all components and measured voltages on the 5v regulator and the power to the PT2399's. all seem to be receiving the the correct voltage. regulator outputs 4.98V and the PT2399's are getting it. This is my first delay circuit build so I might be missing something important here. ANY information would be useful at this point..Thanks in Advance.

PS: This is my first post on the forum  :) but I've been dwelling around here a LOOONG time. Just finally decided to join.

IEATNOISE

Nobody??? Well...guess im alone on this one. thanks anyways :-\

PRR

Welcome!

Your post had 32 Views in 12 hours. If there was an "Ah Ha!" point to bring up, I'm sure someone would have Ah-Ha-ed you.

The post lists a few things which are right. The list of things that could be wrong is very long. And we do not know your experience level. Would you be offended if we list the many "stupid" things we have done? Swap in and out? Short tip to shell? Forget a key signal wire? Could we even list all our "stupid mistakes" in the time allowed?

If you have read this Forum a while, you know the techniques which have been found useful. Most/all pin voltages compared against a reference or heavy thinking. Signal tracing. Even putting your finger on stuff to see if buzz gets through.

• SUPPORTER

IEATNOISE

I just had hope someone would chime in with a similar problem or an "ah-ha" moment as you put it. that being said, i have made some progress. i made a signal probe and started tracing. What i found was an input resistor with a ever so slightly broken lead. small enough i couldn't visibly notice it. Once i replaced it i was able to get signal through the pedal...another problem presented itself though..there is still no delay. im getting my guitar signal just no effect. i do here some "clicking" in the back ground of some sort  ???  oh well..to the debugging i go

duck_arse

we always like to say how much we like to see photos of what you've built.   sometimes we see things.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

vigilante397

Pictures are super helpful, and I also like to see voltages on ICs and your 5V regulator. Delays are tricky because there are a lot of things that can go wrong, but they are easy because there are only a few that go wrong often.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

IEATNOISE

Thanks guys, I will definitely upload pics whenever i get the chance. Here are the PIN volts on all PT's:

IC2:

1 - 4.6v
2 - 1.5v
3 - 0v
4 - 53mv
5 - 64mv
6 - 1.5v
7 - 69mv
8 - 4.2v
9 - 4.4v
10 - 470mv
11 - 1.5v
12 - 1.5v
13 - 1.5v
14 - 1.5v
15 - 1.4v
16 - 1.4v

IC3:

1 - 4.5v
2 - 2.3v
3 - 0v
4 - 40mv
5 - 2.4v (??? The schematic shows this pin is not connected..Why would i get a voltage reading off it?)
6 - 1.9v
7 - 4.0v
8 - 3.8v
9 - 3.8v
10 - 283mv
11 - 261mv
12 - 2.2v
13 - 1.8v
14 - 1.3v
15 - 3.0v
16 - 1.7v

IC4:

1 - 3.4v
2 - 1.7v
3 - 0v
4 - 18mv
5 - 1.7v (again???)
6 - 1.2v
7 - 3.0v
8 - 3.0v
9 - 1.2v
10 - 143mv
11 - 151mv
12 - 1.2v
13 - 1.5v
14 - 1.7v
15 - 1.0v
16 - 1.5v

Some strange things happening here..

Also, the 5v regulator is good. puts out 5v no prob.

bluebunny

Quote from: IEATNOISE on October 07, 2016, 11:47:34 AM
5 - 2.4v (??? The schematic shows this pin is not connected..Why would i get a voltage reading off it?)

It may not be connected to anything outside the chip, but it's connected internally.  I wouldn't worry about its value.

Also, the 5v regulator is good. puts out 5v no prob.

Really?  Then why only 4.6V, 4.5V, 3.4V at the PTs?  Something is amiss...   :icon_confused:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

yeah, like BB says, why?

how come on the schematic and the pcb all PT2399 pin 4's are connected, very hard via a short trace, to pin 3's, as we would want them, but your pin 4's all show a different voltage reading? they should all be 0V, not 0V and 18mV. also and, the IC2 pin 2 voltage should be half of whatever the pin 1 voltage is, even if it is wrong.

are your PT's socketed? if so, pull em all out, measure the voltages on the pins again.

and photos.

IEATNOISE

I popped PT's out of sockets and took measurements.
pin 1 on all sockets = 4.95v
All other pins = 0v
except pins 15 & 16 on IC2. those pins gave me 0.95v

duck_arse

well, that may indicate a short between pins 15 & 16, IC2. you'll have to do continuity tests along the length of those traces, see if you are getting zero ohms, or close to (POWER OFF! IC's out).

[edit :] further thought, it might not be a short between those pins, one of them may be short somewhere else, and the 33k across makes the voltage appear on both pins.

Lothric

sorry where I can get Layout for this one? on Tonepad website there is no PDF anymore.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: Lothric on October 14, 2016, 06:05:49 AM
sorry where I can get Layout for this one? on Tonepad website there is no PDF anymore.

FP may have taken it down to make some changes or updates. Several of the knobs on mine seemed to make no difference to the sound. I never could see anything wrong with my build to explain it. It did work for the most part. I switched to the rebote 2.5 since it has a smaller footprint and works well enough for me. Either way, here is my copy of the PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3179m8k51uquz4i/tonepad_rebote3delay.pdf?dl=0

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Lothric

Legend! man, thank You very much for PDF file. I also have Rebote2.5 (in most cases is more than enaugh for what I'am using it for). I want to give it a go before I put my hands on Abductor by DeadAstronaut. Basicly I am looking for something which will work in conjunction with Chasm Reverb, that might be a good starting point... Never too much delay pedals, that will be third project to check out along with SCHecho by General Gadgets and Rebte2.5 mentioned before. Once again thank You very much.