Problems with PCB Mounted Jacks

Started by danit965, October 11, 2016, 02:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danit965

Hi  guys!
I just finished a SansAmp PCB but I'm having some problems with the jacks. 
If you pay atention, you'll see that the enclosure sides aren't straight and they have a slight inclination, so I had to re-design my PCB in order to fit in the encosure. I dont' like the idea of the inclined jacks but I didn't have any other choice. The thing is that I can't put the PCB in the enclosure because the jacks won't fit. Any help?  :-\ . I can put in the PCB first and then solder the jacks but I'm trying to avoid that solution.

Thanks!  8)

stallik

Ran into this blind alley myself so I cheated. I use these sockets
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/JCCN.html
The silver end screws into the body of the jack from outside. For me, it was possible to file down the body of the jack so it would fit (just) into the enclosure. I then screwed the silver bit in. There is less thread so I had to be careful but it held up ok.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

danit965

Quote from: stallik on October 11, 2016, 03:42:25 PM
Ran into this blind alley myself so I cheated. I use these sockets
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/JCCN.html
The silver end screws into the body of the jack from outside. For me, it was possible to file down the body of the jack so it would fit (just) into the enclosure. I then screwed the silver bit in. There is less thread so I had to be careful but it held up ok.

Ohh, I got it. I don't want to file down the jack's body. How do the big companies solve this issue? I have 2 Boss pedals but they use common jacks  :(

slacker

You can use the jacks Kevin linked to and mount them flat to the PCB, they don't stick through the holes in the enclosure from the inside,  the part that screws in from the outside and the washers have enough give and flex in them to fit flush with the outside of the enclosure even though it's not perpendicular to the end of the jacks.

thermionix

I only have one Boss pedal and it uses panel-mount jacks.  If you do enough repair work, you see that board-mounted jacks are just trouble waiting to happen.

johngreene

Quote from: danit965 on October 11, 2016, 04:03:12 PM
Ohh, I got it. I don't want to file down the jack's body. How do the big companies solve this issue? I have 2 Boss pedals but they use common jacks  :(
They either use enclosures that have 90degree sides or they counter-sink the jack mounting hole so it has a mounting surface that is 90 degrees to the PCB.
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.