Multi FX Stomp Questions.

Started by steveyraff, October 12, 2016, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey all.

Although I really enjoy pedal building as a hobby, I honestly don't use very many in a live situation. I used to in previous bands - but for this last 5 years or so, I've been gigging a few times a week with a blues band, and I like to keep my sound very stripped back.

I have a Keeley 4-knob Compressor, a Mooer Pure boost, and a TC Mini Polytuner. That's about it really. I use my amps footswitch to switch between a clean channel and a drive channel.

Anyway, I am thinking about re-housing everything into one unit, for convenience. I don't want a pedal board, with patch cables etc.

I'm trying to also plan for the future and maybe also include effects I do not currently use.

Anyway, I was thinking of having one enclosure house the tuner, the Keeley Comp, and then add my own built boost, reverb or delay, and maybe chorus. And maybe also put the amp switch into it as well.

I'm just thinking out loud so I thought I'd start a thread to keep all my questions in one place and not spam up the forum. It'll probably take me a few months to get around to even starting it.

I have a few things I am wondering about. Rehousing the tuner, I've no idea how that'll work. I need to try to cut out a window in the enclosure that exactly matches the size of the polytuner's display window. I don't even know if I have the tool to personally do such a thing.

Secondly, I have one problem with the amp I use. It does not have an effects loop. It also does not have its own built in reverb. This frustrates me as running reverb in front of it is ok on the clean channel, but switch to overdrive channel and it gets really washy and messy. It has me thinking about work-arounds. Maybe I could build this enclosure with a really good overdrive section, and separate boost section, then just use my amps clean channel. Would that make running reverb or delay from the same enclosure perform better than my current aforementioned issue?  I think this might also be a good idea because, again planning for the future, I always wanted to have a go at building my own single channel amp - so I'd be needing a drive channel in that case anyway.

I also only mentioned chorus as I do not yet own a chorus pedal, but its one of the few effects I was thinking of adding for quite some time now, but I've been holding out building one for myself as I thought I should just wait and put it into this.

I guess after it all I am going to want to have a think about the best order to put them all in too.

Some other initial queries. Power. Can the whole thing be ran of one 9v power source? I'm not sure how that would work with running multiple LED indicators, or how it wouldn't effect the power reaching each pedal etc. Someone more knowledgeable than me can perhaps explain how this would work.

Finally, are there any common types of large enclosures for such projects that people use? I've build a lot of pedals to date, but they've pretty much all been Hammond 1590B or BB's (or Eddystone equivalent).

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

blackieNYC

I like multipedal things. I have some nice commercial pedals but I haven't t rehoused any. When I finish my compressor, I will get rid of the Mxr custom comp.  will my new one be better?  Maybe. Maybe not. Rehousing is difficult
Yes, I would say build some fuzzes and ODs and follow with a reverb pedal, and the clean channel.
Consider skipping the amp switching, as you won't be switching anymore after you build a fuzz face and a timmy! If you haven't already. And you might switch amps some day. Likewise, the tuner.
Maybe you need a little pedalboard.  I know, it's not very bluesy.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Kipper4

Hey Stevie.
Large Ali enclosures are available.
I'd go for a custom made steel laser cut box. I have a good contact though.
Cutting the enclosure. Rotary tool (Dremel) is good. Or scribe the needed hole. Drill round the inside of the shape and file to size.
Amp loop. Ask your tech if he can fit you a loop. Or if your competent with amp work ask here and someone they will tell you how to go about it.
I too like a mild drive pedal. Jhs sweet honey or hermida zen drive.
I guess it depends on your rig. Nalle Colt nails the blues sound I like.
If you start to add digital stuff to the multi effect. I.E. Reverb and delay those chips draw a bit more current than most analogue stuff.
Most of the analogue stuff should be fine with a single power supply.
Belton brick iirc draw as much as 600ma. Check out the all star reverb and chasm.
Probably best to get some confirmation from others on this though.
I hope you find your needs
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

steveyraff

Quote from: Kipper4 on October 12, 2016, 04:46:22 PM
Hey Stevie.
Large Ali enclosures are available.
I'd go for a custom made steel laser cut box. I have a good contact though.
Cutting the enclosure. Rotary tool (Dremel) is good. Or scribe the needed hole. Drill round the inside of the shape and file to size.
Amp loop. Ask your tech if he can fit you a loop. Or if your competent with amp work ask here and someone they will tell you how to go about it.
I too like a mild drive pedal. Jhs sweet honey or hermida zen drive.
I guess it depends on your rig. Nalle Colt nails the blues sound I like.
If you start to add digital stuff to the multi effect. I.E. Reverb and delay those chips draw a bit more current than most analogue stuff.
Most of the analogue stuff should be fine with a single power supply.
Belton brick iirc draw as much as 600ma. Check out the all star reverb and chasm.
Probably best to get some confirmation from others on this though.
I hope you find your needs
Rich

Thanks Rich! Yes, I too love Nalle Colt's sound. I actually built him a pedal a while back - and did some Vintage Trouble graphics on it for him. He reviewed it for me and played it for a while, but from what I recall it was just a little too dark sounding for him - he wanted more treble.

There is an amp loop mod available for the Orange Dual Terror - but then again, not sure I will mess with it much if I end up either building an amp further down the line, or using a drive in this enclosure.

You've certainly gave me plenty of food for thought though. And thanks for advice of enclosures and power. Its all very helpful.

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

Quote from: blackieNYC on October 12, 2016, 04:17:43 PM
Consider skipping the amp switching, as you won't be switching anymore after you build a fuzz face and a timmy! If you haven't already. And you might switch amps some day. Likewise, the tuner.
Maybe you need a little pedalboard.  I know, it's not very bluesy.

Good call, I probably wont bother putting amp switching into it. I do have a little pedal board. Its still just a little cumbersome with the patch leads and velcro etc. Rather than buy a better quality pedal board like a pedal train, I'm just liking the idea of a multi stomp build anyway! :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

blackieNYC

this is a discarded piece of rack gear with the ears removed, or sawn off. And a very peely decal.  Repair shops, studios, radio stations - somebody has some broken 1u gear around, hopefully not too deep.  Some will have holes and 1/4" jacks already.  If you give each one an in and out jack you'll have great flexibility.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

stallik

QuoteSecondly, I have one problem with the amp I use. It does not have an effects loop. It also does not have its own built in reverb. This frustrates me as running reverb in front of it is ok on the clean channel, but switch to overdrive channel and it gets really washy and messy. It has me thinking about work-arounds. Maybe I could build this enclosure with a really good overdrive section, and separate boost section, then just use my amps clean channel. Would that make running reverb or delay from the same enclosure perform better than my current aforementioned issue?  I think this might also be a good idea because, again planning for the future, I always wanted to have a go at building my own single channel amp - so I'd be needing a drive channel in that case anyway.

I've been working on my own multiFX for a while now. In my experience, it would make it sound MUCH better. Tuner --> Overdrive/Dst --> Delay --> Reverb --> Amp(clean channel) sound great for me.  I'm using D'Astro's Chasm & Spitfire and a PT80 with tap. All give silent switching which is a bonus. I've also added an ABY at the end and will use wah etc before the box
Trouble is, when you put everything into a single box, you kind of cast everything in stone so, to give me the possibility of adding something later (or for specific gigs) I've put a pair of insert loops between OD/modulation & modulation/reverb.
The housing is home made, bent from steel sheet with a brake and for a while, has been a work in progress. I've made it as small as I can with the lowest profile possible. Power to my current separates is from a single PS so I expect no issues when they're all in one box
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

deadastronaut

sounds really cool kevin.. 8)

pics?..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

stallik

Quotepics?..

Not quite yet Rob, I got one of the bend angles wrong so it's not 100% square and that's really messing with my OCD ;) May have to restart the enclosure
No led's as such, there's an acrylic plate at each side and they'll glow instead
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

deadastronaut

yeah im a fussy bugger too...quite right.

looking forward to seeing it done...leds sound cool too. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

balkanizeyou

Quote from: Kipper4 on October 12, 2016, 04:46:22 PM
Is this really the case? Seems like an awful lot of current. I've never used one, but the accutronics site states 100mA maximum supply current - is the website wrong?

Kipper4

Just checked and your right. 100ma
I was only out by zero:)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/