Feedback Loop and general new guy questions

Started by DallasoftheDead, October 14, 2016, 04:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DallasoftheDead

Hey all! First post on here, really excited to get into the world of DIY pedals. I have a few questions on one of my first builds though. I'm trying to build a feedback loop based on the designs here (http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/index.php?topic=134.0) except instead of a toggle switch I'd like to put in a momentary push switch. I'd also like to add an LED to the effects loop, and was possibly thinking of doing a bi-colored LED to show when the feedback was engaged as well just for fun if possible?

Some other questions I have regarding builds and components in general are:

1.) All three of the pots I've got for this build and a starter kit I have all have a little tab to make it so it doesn't sit flush with the casing. Is there a reason for this? It makes it pretty difficult to mount onto the case without being lopsided.

2.) A few connections require two wires to the same lug, especially in the feedback build. I have 18 AWG wire, which I believed was pretty standard, but it makes for an incredibly tight squeeze trying to get more than one strand in a lug.

3.) On a DPDT switch, or 3PDT switch, does the orientation matter? I been able to find any markings that denote that there's a starting or '1' lug.

Thank you very much for your time and answers in advance, I'm sure I'll be back on here fairly frequently with more novice questions!

antonis

Quote from: DallasoftheDead on October 14, 2016, 04:08:03 AM
except instead of a toggle switch I'd like to put in a momentary push switch. I'd also like to add an LED to the effects loop, and was possibly thinking of doing a bi-colored LED to show when the feedback was engaged as well just for fun if possible?
Post #2 in your link deals with that..

1.) All three of the pots I've got for this build and a starter kit I have all have a little tab to make it so it doesn't sit flush with the casing. Is there a reason for this? It makes it pretty difficult to mount onto the case without being lopsided.
The reason for tab excistence is for placing it in a seperate hole to avoid pot "turn" in case of loose mounting..
(it's rarely used and you can easily cut it or bend it to cut/break it..)

2.) A few connections require two wires to the same lug, especially in the feedback build. I have 18 AWG wire, which I believed was pretty standard, but it makes for an incredibly tight squeeze trying to get more than one strand in a lug.
You can solder one wire end through lug and the other on lug (top or side) or even on first wire edge (cut insulation a bit more..)
Better try with 21 AWG, which is more convenient for this kind of work...

3.) On a DPDT switch, or 3PDT switch, does the orientation matter? I been able to find any markings that denote that there's a starting or '1' lug.
You're right about several markings but orientation DOES matter only in the form of "Upper - Lower" poles..
Taking in mind that you need a middle pole (or a middle row of poles) for connect it (them) either "Up" or "Down" (depending on switch throw) you can use a continuity tester to check for right orientation - which action is always advisable for checking your switch good performance, before AND after soldering..)
(you dont want to solder and mount an already defective switch..) :icon_wink:

If you don't have a multimeter or you are lazy enough, you can count on the fact that flat side of lugs "indicate" independed rows..
(meaning that Up - Middle - Down rows are parallel with lug flatness..)

Wellcome...!! :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DallasoftheDead

[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the info! Very helpful for a newbie. Glad to be dipping my toes into this crazy world.

duck_arse

Quote from: DallasoftheDead on October 16, 2016, 11:44:59 PM

Thanks a lot for the info! Very helpful for a newbie. Glad to be dipping my toes into this crazy world.
[/quote]

really, Dallas, we are not so stingy with the greetings that you have to welcome yourself.

welcome to the forum.

[I personally always use the anti-rotate tabs, usually mounting pots on sub-panels.]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

blackieNYC

You might not need an LED tell you you're stepping on a momentary switch, if I'm reading that right  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

DallasoftheDead

Quote from: blackieNYC on October 17, 2016, 10:59:52 AM
You might not need an LED tell you you're stepping on a momentary switch, if I'm reading that right  ;)

Yeah, it's definitely overkill, more for aesthetic purposes and to give myself a lesson in wiring up LEDs, haha. I like the idea of having it go from "everything is okay" green, to "feedback loop insanity" red.