Anything interesting you can do with an otherwise unused op amp?

Started by EBK, October 20, 2016, 11:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I recently designed a couple circuits that happen to require 3 op amps, but I elected to use TL074s for both designs.  I've properly terminated the unused op amp in each layout, but it seems somehow wasteful to not utilize the entire quad package.  So, I was wondering if anyone had any interesting ideas for how to put an otherwise unused op amp to use.  All suggestions, from serious to outright wacky would be appreciated.  Thanks!
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Make a nice stable VREF out of it (assuming you need a VREF).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

nocentelli

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 21, 2016, 06:29:55 AM
Input buffer?
Only if there is an inverting input with a low value Rg..  :icon_wink:

P.S.
Just playing the smart guy, Sir .. :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

slacker

Phase inverter,  wet/dry or clean/dirty blender/mixer , rectifier for octave up.

R.G.

Tunable resonance or notch filter to add some really noticeable voicing.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ben Lyman

...recently designed a couple circuits...

Yes, but what are they?
Is it a mixer with active EQ, buffered input, phase inverter and a tunable notch filter?  ;)
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

EBK

I intentionally left out the details of what my original circuits were because I'm seeking to improve my mind rather than improve those specific circuits.   :icon_wink:

Great suggestions, all! 

• SUPPORTER

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

GibsonGM

Quote from: antonis on October 21, 2016, 08:25:22 AM
Quote from: GibsonGM on October 21, 2016, 06:29:55 AM
Input buffer?
Only if there is an inverting input with a low value Rg..  :icon_wink:

P.S.
Just playing the smart guy, Sir .. :icon_redface:

Depends on what your input impedance requirement is!!  :)   LOL     My LP is pretty 'sharp', and actually sounds better with some tone suck, like a wah, first in the chain....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

EBK

Quote from: rutabaga bob on October 21, 2016, 01:31:20 PM
Since no one else has said it: welcome to the forum!

Thanks!  Long time lurker, first time poster.   :icon_smile:
  • SUPPORTER