Protection IC? All-in-one?

Started by blackieNYC, October 25, 2016, 09:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

(Sorry, I have not found the answer. Yet. Or maybe you have, or will.) I was reading about the many different DC supply protection we use, and they can get pretty sophisticated. Low cost, but multiple parts. It got me wondering if there is an all in one solution, for the lazy. I would think the battery charger protection market might have something for us. Reverse,over,under, they offer a lot.  The external components you will see in the datasheets might be optional. Some require less parts, some require more. I'm hoping to find an In,Out,Ground solution. Maybe one cap. Firstly, a 9.6v input must be acceptable. I'm looking for something to put in each build, not a new power distribution scheme.
Ltc4365 looks kind of promising, but it requires two external mosfets. Or it appears to. The voltage supplied to the gates happens to be 10v via a charge pump. i figure it might be as protected as the "real" output. The mosfets pass the V in to V out on this chip, as some others do. I'd love to skip the mosfets altogether, but this chip is in the direction of what I'm looking for. (The mosfets seem to be chosen according to output voltage, so there probably is no getting around them.)  Maxim and TI make some stuff.  The common charge pump doesn't appear to offer the protections were looking for, (does it?) but there are various charger protection ICs.
I don't do my own pcbs, and if you're a perf/vero builder like me, you probably don't use a 6-part active device-based protection circuit on all your builds.  I think there is something's out there for us somewhere. Anyone?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

blackieNYC

Bump. I've been poking around for a solution. Shouldn't there be such a thing? A battery charger protection chip for those 9.6v power tools maybe?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

bool

When needed, mine is called "1n5347" ...